Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilmo

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I was to source driftwood from my local river wat would I do to make it safe for use in an aquarium. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

There is a long process needed to prepare driftwood for your tank. Too much for me to list here and, to be quite honest, I'm still learning about it myself. I'd look in the planted tank forums for more info. There are a lot of different ways that people prepare driftwood so you'll have to find the method that works best for you. How you treat the wood also depends on what you want it to do in your tank. For instance, some people want the tannins that will leach out of the wood, others will soak and boil the wood for months to get rid of those tannins.

Tannins can adjust pH but some tanks are helped by the tannins. I soak large pieces for months in rubbermaid tubs while changing the water weekly. I aim to leave some tannins to recreate some south American blacwater like tanks. As far as it being safe from polutants I don't think there is any guaranteed way to treat. Boil and treat with prime. Be careful where you harvest from.

Tannins can adjust pH but some tanks are helped by the tannins. I soak large pieces for months in rubbermaid tubs while changing the water weekly. I aim to leave some tannins to recreate some south American blacwater like tanks. As far as it being safe from polutants I don't think there is any guaranteed way to treat. Boil and treat with prime. Be careful where you harvest from.
Xander wat prime do u recomend???:D

Thanks xander...
mfdrookie i know that now but wen i originally asked i hadnt a clue.lol thanks any way

Back
Top Bottom