Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question about addition of fish..........

Here is my current setup. I have a 20 gallon long FW community tank. It is stocked with 4 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Black Neon Tetras, 1 Honey gourami and 3 Bronze Corydoras. The tank has been up and running for 1 year and the water parameters are fine. I do weekly 25% water changes and regular maintenance( cleaning filters, scraping algae, gravel vac) every 2 weeks.

Would I be stretching it too thin be adding 3 or 4 Glowlight tetras or some other small tetras ? Any advice would be greatly be appreciated.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
You should be fine adding a few more tetras. They are very low bioload.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I would up the number of schools you already have instead of adding a different type. Up the harlies to 6 or 8 and the black neons also. I would add more cories too. They are social fish and would like a bigger group (6+).

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

If I add more Harlequins and Black Neon, wont that be too many fish? I don't overcrowding.
I was thinking Glowlights because of their small size. Also, the Rasboras and Black neons like to school together. I wonder if they realize or care that they are different than one another? But, it also makes sense to add more of the same schooling fish to give greater numbers. I don't know what to do yet. I guess I'll wait for more advice. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I don't think adding 3 or 4 for more black neons and harlequins would make much of a difference at all on your bioload or swimming room. The fish will be happier in larger groups as well. Your tank is not by any means over stocked and I dont think it would be after the addition of a few more tetras.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:13 AM   #6
J-D
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My harlequins and tetras school together too. I guess they're just really open minded Well, they sort of do two schools alongside each other iyswim. The tetras were so excited when the harlequins first arrived it was great to watch!

But I do think that although they like each other's company they will always prefer to be with as many other fish of the same kind as possible so I'd agree that you should increase your existing schools if you want to add more fish.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com