Question about addition of fish..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is my current setup. I have a 20 gallon long FW community tank. It is stocked with 4 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Black Neon Tetras, 1 Honey gourami and 3 Bronze Corydoras. The tank has been up and running for 1 year and the water parameters are fine. I do weekly 25% water changes and regular maintenance( cleaning filters, scraping algae, gravel vac) every 2 weeks.

Would I be stretching it too thin be adding 3 or 4 Glowlight tetras or some other small tetras ? Any advice would be greatly be appreciated.

I would up the number of schools you already have instead of adding a different type. Up the harlies to 6 or 8 and the black neons also. I would add more cories too. They are social fish and would like a bigger group (6+).

If I add more Harlequins and Black Neon, wont that be too many fish? I don't overcrowding.
I was thinking Glowlights because of their small size. Also, the Rasboras and Black neons like to school together. I wonder if they realize or care that they are different than one another? But, it also makes sense to add more of the same schooling fish to give greater numbers. I don't know what to do yet. I guess I'll wait for more advice. Thanks!

I don't think adding 3 or 4 for more black neons and harlequins would make much of a difference at all on your bioload or swimming room. The fish will be happier in larger groups as well. Your tank is not by any means over stocked and I dont think it would be after the addition of a few more tetras.

My harlequins and tetras school together too. I guess they're just really open minded :wink: Well, they sort of do two schools alongside each other iyswim. The tetras were so excited when the harlequins first arrived it was great to watch! :D

But I do think that although they like each other's company they will always prefer to be with as many other fish of the same kind as possible so I'd agree that you should increase your existing schools if you want to add more fish.

Back
Top Bottom