Question about Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam180

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, I would like some opinions regarding adding angels to my 75g tank. My current stock is:

Angelicus Botia Loach x 6
Red Wag Platy x 6
Yellow Guppy x 4
Black Skirt Tetra x 6 (will be increasing to 10 soon)

I am wanting to add either 2 or 3 angels and am wondering which number (and which genders) would be optimal. Thanks in advance.

If you get 3 you'd need 3 females. If you do two I would get two females or 1m and 1f. The reasons you shouldn't get all males is they will be territorial. If you get one male and two females it's possible you'd get a pair and the third will be harassed.

If you get 3 you'd need 3 females. If you do two I would get two females or 1m and 1f. The reasons you shouldn't get all males is they will be territorial. If you get one male and two females it's possible you'd get a pair and the third will be harassed.

I had planned to try and get 1m and 1f for them to pair up, but wasn't sure if they would become more aggressive or territorial if they began breeding.

I had bought 3 when they were smaller and you couldn't sex them at that size. I ended up with a breeding pair and they harshly fought the third angel. Occasionally I see my angel pair chasing away one of my rams if they swim around their spawning site. Other than that I don't see much aggression towards my cories or schooling tetras.

So if I get 2 of them, I'm okay so long as they are m/f or f/f but not if they are m/m?

IMO yes. Temperament will be different for different angelfish, but this way will be the best.

Okay well 2 it is, then. I'll be getting them at about the size of a quarter, so hopefully I get lucky with the combo.

Good luck with getting the Angels. Hopefully you will end up with a male & female. We have 2 males and they are brutal to each other. We keep them separated with a tank divider.
They are beautiful fish with good personality.
Raining them is nice, we raised ours from about the same size you mentioned getting, they are huge now!!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402234308.476920.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402234330.279179.jpg

They are a zebra lace & a marble.

Do you have a specific strain of Angel that your looking to get?

Good luck with getting the Angels. Hopefully you will end up with a male & female. We have 2 males and they are brutal to each other. We keep them separated with a tank divider.
Raining them is nice, we raised ours from about the same size you mentioned getting, they are huge now!!
View attachment 239756View attachment 239757

I'll be letting my wife pick them out as I've picked out all the rest of our fish so far, and these are her favorite. So not sure yet but I'm hoping for a black veil and either a marble veil or koi. Yours look really cool, though.

The Zebra Lace is absolutely gorgeous! I have 4 Angels two beutiful blues a giant veiled Marble and a standard gold...I would trade all 4 for that one Laced...;)....jk...I love my fellas but that's a good looking Angel.

Thanks!! He is a beauty with quite the personality. He loves to swim sideways and will follow us across the room, he swims back & forth or front to back depending where we are walking. He also kisses our fingers when we stick them in the tank.

Your fish sound nice. Do you have any pictures?

Yup here's a pic of my 4..they all have great personalities as well...I love Angelfish!

ForumRunner_20140610_193912.jpg

Wow, beautiful Angels!! I have 6 of them, hopefully I will end up with at least 1 breeding pair. They are just babies at the moment, they still have 6 mths to be mature.

Finally picked up our two angels yesterday. The pics are a little blurry but so far it's the best I can do as they like to move around a lot. Anyway, here they are:

Angel%201.jpg

Angel%202.jpg

Thanks. They're only the size of a quarter at the moment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 6 platinum pearlscale angelfish that are going to be shipped to me tommorow. They are dime sized.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom