Question about changing filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kindafishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in the middle of cycling and have decided to change the filter -- I know, I am nuts, but for various reasons, I hate the one I bought. It is an internal filter, and I am replacing it with an Eheim 2211. (<== loving that one, BTW!)

Currently, I have the two running simultaneously, so that I don't lose the killer bacteria that I've developed so far. Have been doing this for a day already.

I plan on eventually stopping the first internal filter and letting the external filter run solo. Of course, when I do that, I will take all I can in terms of bio media and gunk from filter 1 and transfer it to filter 2 as an extra measure of security.

Anywho....how long do you think I should keep the 2 running together? (I am assuming, of course, that this was the right thing to do --- the idea was to get it developing its own bacteria before I make the switch)

Comments, ideas, guidance ?? :flowers:

If it where me I would just get every single bit if the media from the old one and put it straight in the new one. Your not disturbing the bacteria by moving their home. :)

You don't think I'll tank (pun intended ha ha) my cycle if I can't get ALL the media moved over? I'll be able to move those silly "bacti star" bio thingys (3 of them) but am not sure if I will be able to stuff the old sponge in the new canister as well.

Thanks for your responses. Once I get fish in there, I don't think I'll be able to run both filters -- it is a small tank and the two would really provide too much current.

Plus, I am thinking that overkill might actually not always be a good thing. I think we tend to think that outright, but I would think that you need to achieve the correct balance between bio-load and bacteria. I plan on having quite a light load of fish (just a pair), plus a lot of plants. I don't think that I will have enough bio-load to keep 2 filters worth of bacteria happy. But I could be wrong?

Maybe if I just keep the 2 running until I get fish?

That's what I would do. Until like a month after they get in the tank. What size tank?

kindafishy said:
Which is exactly why I think that over-filtration (bio filtration that is) seems to me to be somewhat redundant.

I think itll always be beneficial unless the current is too powerful. But its probably not necessary at all if you just have two fish.
I like having one at either end so water is being drawn in from both sides of the tank and all of the water is getting good circulation and filtration. It gives extra mechanical filtration as well. And a backup filter if one burns out or you need to make a quarantine.

I don't think you'll need a whole lot of BB with just 2 fish in a 17g tank. You should be good to go with a single filter. However, as previously stated, never bad to have an extra one handy that you can fire up in an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom