Question about CO2 Ceramic Diffuser: PLEASE HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just set up my DIY CO2 and the yeast is producing bubbles through the bubble counter. However, no bubbles are coming out the diffuser yet.. Is been about an hour and a half.

I bought the fluval co2 ceramic diffuser. When I was setting it up, I tried blowing through the tubing to see if I can get air to come out the diffuser in the water. It was a no go.. Ive never had a diffuser (or co2 for that matter) and I'm not sure if it's faulty and clogged or do I not have enough pressure in my lungs to blow air through it?

So do I wait, and how long? I just don't want my bottle to explode not knowing if I have a faulty diffuser.

I've been reading some other threads meanwhile and read that since I'm not using a pressurized system, I'll have to wait for the yeast to build enough pressure to have adequate strength to push gas through the fine pores in the ceramic disk. I'll give some more hours to see. Just hope I don't have a yeasty mess of an explosion.. LOL

Mine started just like 1 hour after I did mix the yeast and the sugar im not using baking soda and is working fine

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120806_223758.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120806_223758.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 211
That's probably why. I'm using a ceramic diffuser and the more I'm reading about it, it takes a while for it to achieve enough pressure to work.

It's this one here:
Fluval Ceramic 88g-CO2 Diffuser - 3.1 Ounces: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

If you (or anyone interested), read the first review there by K. Wright... my particular diffuser works for him.. I messaged him on there and he was kind enough to respond with the following:

"Sometimes it can take up to a full day. Remember that it has to fill the bottle then fight against the water pressure in the hose (unless your check calve is placed inside the tank against the diffuser which I do not at all recommend) and then fill the diffuser itself before bubbles will be forced out. I don't usually see bubbles until well into the next day....also I have never ever been able to produce bubbles by breathing into the hose.I just end up feeling like my eyes are going to pop out or mymouth is going to blow a proverbial gasket. This is why you want the amount of yeast/sugar to be great enough that you do not have to change the bottle very often. The system relies on pressure that your mouth simply cannot produce and will take a great deal of time in order for the gas to equalize the water pressure inside the tank. Even if the bottle gets too pressurized, it will likely fail in a very small way above the "water line " inside it or at a hose juncture. Have faith and you will see great results. Squeezing the bottle will not produce an appreciable increase in bubbles from the diffuser, either. Please excuse the typos that the Kindle Fire creates. ;-)

Also, when you consider the extra volume created by adding the bubble counter, that is a LOT of air that has to be pressurized, then displaced. You see bubbles in the bubble counter but: A. They are still air/CO2 mixed and B. They still have to pressurize the hose Outside the tank then force the water in the hose Inside the tank out through the diffuser. Fascinating displacement going on caused purely by fungus farts....love it"

So I'll give it till tomorrow and see (crossing my fingers).

Haha that guy is awesome. I'm following this as I'll be I the same boat as you in a couple of days. Still planning out what diffuser. Looked into that Fluval one, and I'll get it if it works for you!

Okay.. Just when I was about to give up and as I was looking up pressurized co2 high tech systems out of frustration... FINALLY... IT WORKS!!!! It really did take a whole day :)

Here are pics..

Crazy bubbles at first because I shook the bottle!
ForumRunner_20120807_224048.jpg

MY DIY setup with a Fluval bubble counter.
ForumRunner_20120807_224102.jpg

And a pic of the whole tank before the diffuser kicked in (pictured with O2 through an airstone).

ForumRunner_20120807_224137.jpg

@Predfan27 Its a 12 gallon Nano Cube.

Note: The picture of the whole tank though is with an airstone (pumping o2) before my co2 finally started. The diffuser pics show a lot of bubbles but that was only in the beginning when I shook the yeast bottle out of frustration.. It practically erupted with micro-bubbles initially. About 10 minutes later, the system mellowed out and now there's a smaller steady stream.

Update pic:

ForumRunner_20120808_092917.jpg

Hello, I am relatively new to the CO2 thing, but I went with this set up because it is a bubble counter and diffuser in one. It eliminated the need for the extra bottle of water between rank and diffuser. I also use DIY CO2 and it takes mine about a full day to produce enough pressure to diffuse through the ceramic disc.

Attachments

• image-2036315596.jpg
    image-2036315596.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 118
I believe with DIY CO2, the water filled bubble counters have a dual purpose. For one, they (obviously) count bubbles per sec so you have a visual representation of how much co2 is injected in your tank. And secondly, in DIY, they act as a buffer to filter and separate any potential yeast seepage from the co2 gas. I believe if you don't have that water to separate the gas, you run the risk of yeast getting in your tank or clogging up your tubing and diffuser. Well that's what I read and why I chose to get a separate water filled bubble counter. Whereas most DIY co2 use 2 bottles (one the reactor and two the bubble counter).

Brian_Nano12g said:
I believe with DIY CO2, the water filled bubble counters have a dual purpose. For one, they (obviously) count bubbles per sec so you have a visual representation of how much co2 is injected in your tank. And secondly, in DIY, they act as a buffer to filter and separate any potential yeast seepage from the co2 gas. I believe if you don't have that water to separate the gas, you run the risk of yeast getting in your tank or clogging up your tubing and diffuser. Well that's what I read and why I chose to get a separate water filled bubble counter. Whereas most DIY co2 use 2 bottles (one the reactor and two the bubble counter).

+1

All my research has said that. I'm going to run 3 bottles. 2 for reactors and 1 for a counter.

I haven't had that problem yet, but like I said I am new to the CO2 thing and am here to learn. I have been counting the bubbles in the glass tubing at 1-2 per second, does that not count as a visual representation?

Usually glass or ceramic diffusers are not used with DIY Co2 because they need more pressure to diffuser the co2 effectively. I would be worried about the bottle that contains the yeast and sugar exploding and making a big mess. There are other diffusion options such as running the tubing into a HOB filter intake so that the impeller chops the bubbles up, trapping to co2 underwater (either DIY or a diffuser like the fluval 20g co2 kit comes with.), or running the tubing to the output of a powerhead so the bubbles stay underwater longer and are more diffused. I'm actually surprised that yours worked with a ceramic diffuser. I am glad it is working for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom