Question about cycling new tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waterboi7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
O I have been watching this show on animal planet recently called tanked. Anyone seen it? 1 thing I have noticed is that every time these guys finish an aquarium they fill it up and immediately add fish. W/out cycling? I thought it was very important to let a new tank setup cycle completely before adding fish? Btw how long does this take? Maybe they are just adding the fish right away because it's tv and then taking them back out till the tank cycles. But I'm kinda doubting that. What would they do w/ them in meantime? Anyway all your comments on these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Waterboi7 said:
O I have been watching this show on animal planet recently called tanked. Anyone seen it? 1 thing I have noticed is that every time these guys finish an aquarium they fill it up and immediately add fish. W/out cycling? I thought it was very important to let a new tank setup cycle completely before adding fish? Btw how long does this take? Maybe they are just adding the fish right away because it's tv and then taking them back out till the tank cycles. But I'm kinda doubting that. What would they do w/ them in meantime? Anyway all your comments on these questions will be greatly appreciated.

I was just talking about this with my wife, glad you asked the question. I would think it is for tv purposes and these tanks probably do cycle.

Well I would think so.....but I have seen them adding fish before they're even finished filling the tank sometimes. There has got to be some editing and time elapse going on though. These people are professionals and they must know what they are doing. I agree, it has to be for tv purposes only. But idk. It has me very curious

Waterboi7 said:
Well I would think so.....but I have seen them adding fish before they're even finished filling the tank sometimes. There has got to be some editing and time elapse going on though. These people are professionals and they must know what they are doing. I agree, it has to be for tv purposes only. But idk. It has me very curious

Well I live in las Vegas, I should go down and see what they say.

Yes I should and get back to me. I was thinking how cool it would be to have them come build me a giant tank in my living room and then I thought to myself "Oh yeah, u live in Pennsylvania dummy"

Sorry. "yes you should". I hate auto correct sometimes

Well, I would venture to guess that they have access to a large supply of highly established media.

Yes, I heard one of them say the sand or "crushed coral" has established bacteria in it. I doubt they would risk killing off thousands of dollars in fish.

That is a highly likely possibility too. How would that work? As I am still fairly new to all of this. I dabbled in a low cost 10gal setup from Walmart for past cpl years until my Walmart bought koi and fantail outgrew and recently upgraded to a 56 gal setup

The hosts of the show have no say in the production or editing of footage. In an interview, Brett said that they have a sort of instant cycle product that they made and use in their tanks. They did not mean for it to look like they don't care about cycling, that was the result of production decisions beyond the control of ATM.

Back
Top Bottom