Question about dwarf frog behavior....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e burna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 2 dwarf frogs a week ago. 1 of them died 2 days later. The 2nd one seems normal (so far anyway) but when I looked in the tank yesterday he was lying belly up on the bottom. I thought he was dead, so I went for him, and he started kicking around and hopped away. Is this normal behavior for them, or is he about to go bye bye? Thanks for reading.

That depends on how he got into that position. Often a frog will go into the zen position while floating or "standing" on it's hind legs and will simply fall into that position. If that's what happened then there should be no problem in it. However, if the frog is constantly stuck in that position there could be a problem. Also if the frog seems to be actively seeking out that position it could indicate some problem (though I don't know of anything specific).

That position does not sound normal or good at all, they are pretty hardy so I would double check all the params of your tank if you can't keep ADFs alive in there.

Of all the fish I've had, here are the list of good and bad as far as my tank goes:

Good:

sissortail tetras
rasbora tetras
cory's
pleco
clown loach
platys

so so:

neon tetras
dwarf frogs

bad:
cardinal tetras

Does this sound about normal? My tank is planted, I do water changes, overall it seems pretty healthy.

I have neons and ADFs in my tank without any problems, in fact my girlfriend has neons in her dirty little 5g tank and they are doing fine. I think all those fish you named are good, hardy fish. Clown Loaches do get ich a lot, but thats about it.

Well a day or so later he died, so I guess it wasn't a good sign. I was feeding shrimp pellets, but the cory's also chow down on them, do you think maybe they weren't getting food?

Back
Top Bottom