Question about filter and api test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrick cleveland

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there my question about filters is 1 on HOB filters which is best sponge first cartridge last or vice versa.2 I've done aquariums serveral years on LFS advice and guidence then I find this site and realize much cheaper ways to do things what exactly is wrong with carbon and if I substitute it with somthing else will I get the same crystal clear water as I do using it .3 does api test kit have long shelf life. I have two of them given to me and one I know of is several years old.As a sucker of LFS advice I have been using test strips and never been able to get nitrates where I want them to be after testing with api last night I have 0 ppm of nitrates in my 150 gal which I also tested with test strip its reading was danger zone for nitrates. I do regular water changes and gravel vacs on my 3 tanks.

Hi Patrick. I usually put sponges or polyfill/bonded filter pad material in my HOBs. It's not in any particular order for me, but hopefully someone who is more meticulous about it will give some insight.

There's nothing wrong with carbon, it's just unnecessary in most cases. I don't run it at all, and I know several others who don't either. It's supposed to help absorb organics, colors/odors in the water, but it has a very short life, and honestly a regular water change schedule seems to be just as effective.

Some people keep some carbon handy in case they need help removing meds from their water.

The API tests should have a 4 digit # stamped on them that indicates month/year of manufacture. (example: 0111 would mean it was manufactured in january 2011) I believe they are good for up to 3 years past that date.

I have several tanks and i rotate carbon usually every other month. In my hob filters i do run it since its so cheap and the tanks are small. The aquaclears have a 3 pack of carbon for just a couple of bucks so i usually stock up on it. You do have to change it out every 2-3 weeks though or it looses it zing. :)

The above post above is accurate as far as the test kit. Just check the dates. And for the love of your fish, stop using those test strips. LOL They will make you freak out with their "off" readings.

I thought I had ammonia in every tank in my house all to be disproven with an API liquid test kit. hehehe

Good luck!

What type HOB do you have? I use Aqua Clear HOB filters and substitute the over priced carbon packs ($4-5 each) with poly-fil to catch all the fine gunk the sponge can't get and it keeps my tanks crystal clear. I change it out every week and a bag of poly-fil only costs $4-5 and it should last me the year for 4 tanks. I keep the carbon I get with new filters in case I ever have to remove meds. I run the sponge first, then poly-fil, then biomedia so the gunk gets caught before it can foul the biomedia where most bacteria is meant to live.

The API FW Master test kit is the best test system for the money and on each bottle there's a lot number and the last 4 numbers indicate the date it was made (ie 0810=Aug. 2010) which expires 3-5 years after that date (depending on who you talk to lol).

What type HOB do you have? I use Aqua Clear HOB filters and substitute the over priced carbon packs ($4-5 each) with poly-fil to catch all the fine gunk the sponge can't get and it keeps my tanks crystal clear. I change it out every week and a bag of poly-fil only costs $4-5 and it should last me the year for 4 tanks. I keep the carbon I get with new filters in case I ever have to remove meds. I run the sponge first, then poly-fil, then biomedia so the gunk gets caught before it can foul the biomedia where most bacteria is meant to live.

The API FW Master test kit is the best test system for the money and on each bottle there's a lot number and the last 4 numbers indicate the date it was made (ie 0810=Aug. 2010) which expires 3-5 years after that date (depending on who you talk to lol).

I have 6 in use 2 whisper 30/60 and 4 aquaclear 30/60

HOB Filter Info.

Hello patrick. The typical order for filter media in a standard HOB power filter is polyfiber or mechanical media on the bottom. On top of that is the activated carbon or chemical media and at the top is the biological or ammonia media.

I have large tanks and do a 50 percent water change every three weeks. I replace most of the polyfiber every change. The other two can be rinsed in the old tank water and put back in the filter several times.

B

Back
Top Bottom