Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question about fishless cycling for 5g tanks?

hello everyone! so i recently purchased five gallon tanks for my bettas, and had a question about cycling them. so i ordered an API Freshwater Master Test Kit which will be here on thursday, and i heard that a good technique for cycling would be doing the 'fish food' method. i have read that it will be easier to clean if you put the fish food in a 'media bag' or nylon sock.
i don't really have those readily available, so i was wondering, is it possible to do the cycling without putting the food in the bag or sock? and if so, how would i clean out the food once my tank is cycled? if i vacuumed it out of the gravel, would that disturb the beneficial bacteria that is in the gravel and would that be bad for the whole cycling process?
if anyone could let me know the best way to clean out the fish food from my tank once it is cycled without messing anything up, i would greatly appreciate it! thank you!

'Tanks' very much! ~Khloe, Zeus (betta), Apollo (betta), Loki (gold dust lyretail molly), five nameless dust mollies, Red and Zebra (nerite snails)

Old 03-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

99% of your bacteria live in the filter. No worries about sucking any up.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
99% of your bacteria live in the filter. No worries about sucking any up.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

ok great! thank you! so i'll probably just put the fish food straight in the tank and let it cycle and then remove it once it's done! i'm very excited and hopefully my bettas will enjoy all of the swimming space they'll be getting!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey I left a private message ... Check it out

Tags
cycling, fish, fishless, fishless cycling, question, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com