Question about heating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on heating small tanks. I work at a pet store, so I'm quite knowledgable when it comes to aquatics, but we don't sell heaters small enough for my 2 gallon (currently has 1 balloon-bellied molly and an otocinclus) and my 1 gallon (with a betta) and I'm not too thrilled about the idea of spending another $15-20 on a heater for each tank. I have a space heater in my room, which keeps the room around 65 degrees when I'm not in there, and about 75 degrees when I am (don't want to burn the house down you know). But I can't help but think my fishies aren't warm enough. I leave the light on the 2 gallon on all day (hence why I have the otocinclus to help with algae) but the 1 gallon doesn't have a light. Any suggestions on how the keep the water warmer other than those expensive heaters?

There are some undergravel heaters you can buy online and those are really the only heaters space wise that would fit probably. You may want to consider getting a bigger tank. A 10 gal tank cost about 10 bucks at most chain petstores. A filter for that size tank would be a little as 12 bucks probably, and if you go to petsmart.com they are having a clearence on penn plax submersuble heaters only $6.50 for a 50 watt. It might be more than waht you want to spend but well worth it in the long term, and your fish will enjoy the extra room. You can put the betta in the 2 gallon where he can stay a little warmer. :D HTH

Bettas don't require heaters, though I'd find something larger than 1 gallon to keep it in. I have a couple of glass vases from Wal-Mart that hold a couple gallons each for my bettas. The dry bulb plants, aponogentum or cryptocoryne, not sure which, also work well in betta bowls.

I will move the molly and otocinclus into my 10 gal eventually, but for now I don't have room for another one. When my two little goldfish (which are in my 10 gal right now) get bigger I will get them a larger tank (I imagine I'll have space for one by then).

Back
Top Bottom