Question about Kelvins (Lighting)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I'm new to live planted aquariums. I have a 10gallon tank and decided that I wanted live plants. I was in the local Petsmart and saw that they sold various flouresent bulbs ranging in many different Kelvins. They are all about 15watts each.

On the box of the 6700K bulbs, there was an icon specified for use with fish. There was also a 1000K (dont remember the icon). And then the 18000K that had an icon for fish, plants, terrarium, etc.

Right now, I am using the light bulb that came with the Perfecto fixture. Not sure about the Kelvins and wattage. I would like to purchase the bulb that would give me the best chance with keeping live plants.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

kelvins are a measure of how our eye should precieve the "blueness" of a bulb.

5000 to 6700k is the best area for freshwater tanks.

The extra blue they put out helps make up for the red that is lost by the water absorbing it, and helps the tank from looking yellowish / greenish.

anything over 6700k will make your freshwater scene look washed out or faded.

the exception is a 9300k bulb from All-Glass that has special phosphors to balance out the colors, I've heard great things about it.

Your best chance of growing live plants is going to be go over to www.ahsupply.com and get the 2x13 watt bright light kit. All total with two bulbs and shipping it will run you around $30. And it will almost double your light. I have one of these kits over a 10 gallon and it works quite well. Or if you have some basic wood working skills you can build an enclosure and get the 2x13 watt deluxe bright light kit and put it in there. Or if you have extra money you can get the deluxe kit and an enclosure at AH Supply and really watch your plants grow.

Do plants have a specific Kelvin requirement?

And thanks for the advice! This place is awesome.

Plants normally prefer colors in the 5000k-6700k range. There are some exceptions to this rule. I run a 8800k bulb on one tank and it does great. GE makes a 55 watt PC light that is 9325k that is awesome. It really depends on the PAR value of the light than the K. Plants prefer some colors, as opposed to K of light. Red and green are preferred where as blue is not.

Back
Top Bottom