Question about moving Betta in with other fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessiBeau

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a lovely betta named Inu. He quarantined in a 2.5 gallon tank, and once he was healthy, moved into a 36g with mollies and harlequin rasboras. He did wonderfully. Never any nipping between any of them, no flaring or chasing. He even left the red cherry shrimp in there alone.

Wellll, the 36g tank is now a dwarf puffer tank, (along with ottocinclus, and the harlequin rasboras. Plus one golden panda molly who apparently can't be caught.) everything is fine in that tank. The dwarf puffers are happily culling the pond snail infestation (I have ramshorns and pondsnails breeding for them in another tank I'll talk about in a moment.)

Now, back to the problem. Inu has been moved temporarily back into the 2.5 gallon tank. And he is not happy at all. We did take advantage of the dollar per gallon sale yesterday and got two 10g tanks and two 29g tanks. But I don't have a filter, cycled or otherwise in order to move him to one of the 10g.

However, the tank that has the snails breeding is fully cycled, heated, filtered and everything. Only problem. It's also home to my kid's glofish. Can the betta go in there with them, or no?

I just don't want to see him so stressed that he's flaring at himself constantly when the light is on, I'm having to leave it off other than feeding times to keep him from freaking out.

Boy...you got some tanks now lol

Impressive he did well in the 36. You just never know with bettas. One day they can just flip a switch and go rambo. I would think a brightly colored glofish could be a bullseye.

My gut says if you care about the glofish...dont chance it

Yes I do. The 20g ended up cycled by accident, actually. I reused some of the gravel from one of the other tanks, and it apparently had enough bacteria that it has cycled without ever showing ammonia or nitrites. Nitrate reading is perfect and has stayed perfect for weeks. (With the help of water changes of course.)

As for the glo fish. Lol. My kids wouldn't stop begging. And I figured since I'd be breeding snails in there I might as well let them have the glofish in there too.

Inu is most certainly a very docile betta. Maybe I could test his reaction. With him in a mesh breeder in the 20? Would that be worth a try, you think? Or just plan to order a sponge filter and set up on of the 10s for him? I got them to try my hand at breeding some bettas anyway.

Oh and of course we now have a 75g tank with angels and GBRs. It's currently mini cycling because even though we moved over the cycled filters from the tank they were in, plus added more filtration, it's more than double the size, so it's taking time to catch up. Fun stuff!

Boy...you got some tanks now lol

Impressive he did well in the 36. You just never know with bettas. One day they can just flip a switch and go rambo. I would think a brightly colored glofish could be a bullseye.

My gut says if you care about the glofish...dont chance it
Gotta agree with flchamp89, I wouldn't chance it. Pretty glowing snack?

Wow.... and I thought I had mts!
Glad to hear your getting along good with them. My wife doesn't think I need anymore tanks.

Thankfully my hubby and I are both in love with our tanks and since we don't have a single other hobby in common, we both kind of jumped on it! :) We are enjoying it!

Alright, well I supposed what I'll do is keep the light time to a minimum until I can get one of the 10g set up. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom