Question about my cycling tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theastral

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About a week ago I bought a 55 gal for my oscar who I love dearly but is outgrowing his tank very quickly! We decided to buy some feeders from the store we got the tank from to help cycle the tank before we put in my oscar.
Anyway, today I noticed one of the minnows has a yellow bump on the left side of it's body. I just wanna know what it is and if it will affect my tank, ultimately affecting my oscar. What can I do about it? Thanks in advance. :)

How big is the yellow bump? Do you have any pictures?

Are you testing water parameters?

Amonia is .05, ph is 7.4 and my nitrite and nitrate levels I don't really know at the moment. I use my neighbors testing kit so I don't have it =/

I do not have my phone on or I would take a pic. The minnows themselves are maybe a little over an inch so the bump is maybe the size of a very tiny pebble. it's almost perfectly round and yellow. The fish are rosy red minnows so they're mostly a bright orange color. There is this one fish that keeps picking on the one with the bump, chasing him, nipping him, etc.

Hi!
If the Oscar is in a cycled tank, all you need to do is transfer the filter or the filter media to the new tank/filter. That will instantly cycle the tank making it safe for your fish.

Hi!
If the Oscar is in a cycled tank, all you need to do is transfer the filter or the filter media to the new tank/filter. That will instantly cycle the tank making it safe for your fish.

So he'll be ok without the filter media? Even if the cartridge isn't the same size as the last filter? we had to upgrade big time.

I would get the feeders out and return them if you can. Those things are notorious for introducing disease and parasites. The first fish I owned was an oscar. Like yours it started out in a small tank and eventually made it to a 55g :fish2:. I made the mistake of feeding him comets which eventually led to parasites and a PITA. lol.

Oscars have a great personality! If you want to feed him live food I would recommend raising them your self. Otherwise there are some great frozen foods he/she will really appreciate.

As for the yellow spot affecting your oscar I'm not sure.

Good luck :)

Move him the same time. The media in the filter on his current tank will contain enough bacteria to support his ammonia output. Moving the media into the new filter in the new tank will move the bacteria. The new filter will then contain enough bacteria to support the ammonia output of the fish. It's also a good idea to add the old substrate to the new tank either with the new substrate or hanging in a media bag next to the filter intake.
Keep a close eye on the ammonia and nitrite in the the first couple of weeks just to make sure there are no spikes. If a spike of ammonia or nitrite occurs all you need to do is a large water change to bring the concentration down. Keep doing water changes daily until the spike finishes (bacteria has caught up again with the bioload).

Edit: I also agree that you should return the feeders to the store. Do a 100% water change on the tank before you move your Oscar over.
You may need to cut the old media to fit into the new filter.

Last edited:
Honestly Feeder Fish are more trouble then it is worth. Kind of Cruel too...to the Feeder and your Oscar if they get sick. You are better off with pellets, a veggie flake, a good quality Frozen Krill... even some fruit, yep Oscars are Omnivorous and Fruit is a part their diet in the wild . Also stay away from putting any type of Catfish smaller then it. That is natural "live prey" Cory Cats, Oto's will end up missing . I have had Oscars on and off for years and they are my Favorite hands down, but be ready to upgrade again. I'm planning my 125 gallon after I finish off my Basement into my Office.

I would get the feeders out and return them if you can. Those things are notorious for introducing disease and parasites. The first fish I owned was an oscar. Like yours it started out in a small tank and eventually made it to a 55g :fish2:. I made the mistake of feeding him comets which eventually led to parasites and a PITA. lol.

Oscars have a great personality! If you want to feed him live food I would recommend raising them your self. Otherwise there are some great frozen foods he/she will really appreciate.

As for the yellow spot affecting your oscar I'm not sure.

Good luck :)

Raising them ourselves are what we plan to do in the future whenever we transfer him out of his tank now. We hoped we would just get lucky with finding feeders that didn't have diseases.

Move him the same time. The media in the filter on his current tank will contain enough bacteria to support his ammonia output. Moving the media into the new filter in the new tank will move the bacteria. The new filter will then contain enough bacteria to support the ammonia output of the fish. It's also a good idea to add the old substrate to the new tank either with the new substrate or hanging in a media bag next to the filter intake.
Keep a close eye on the ammonia and nitrite in the the first couple of weeks just to make sure there are no spikes. If a spike of ammonia or nitrite occurs all you need to do is a large water change to bring the concentration down. Keep doing water changes daily until the spike finishes (bacteria has caught up again with the bioload).

Edit: I also agree that you should return the feeders to the store. Do a 100% water change on the tank before you move your Oscar over.
You may need to cut the old media to fit into the new filter.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot

Raising them ourselves are what we plan to do in the future whenever we transfer him out of his tank now. We hoped we would just get lucky with finding feeders that didn't have diseases.

What kind of feeders are you thinking about raising? I think common guppies would be the easiest and they have good personalities :lol:

What kind of feeders are you thinking about raising? I think common guppies would be the easiest and they have good personalities :lol:

I honestly have no idea, I really don't know much about other kinds of fish besides cichlids. If they have good personalities I probably would be too sad to feed them to my oscar lol

Theastral said:
I honestly have no idea, I really don't know much about other kinds of fish besides cichlids. If they have good personalities I probably would be too sad to feed them to my oscar lol

True. It's probably best just to feed frozen shrimp ( krill) and cichlid pellets ect..

If you want to breed fish then breed them for fun not for food and do some selective breeding (culling) for Oscar treats.

If you really want live food and can't handle selective breeding you can start a culture of red worms/ compost tank.

Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom