question about my guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmoores

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a guppy that just has given birth to about what i count 4 or 5 fry it happened sometime last night or sometime this morning and i wasnt here to see it. but heres a couple of my questions is that all the fry because that sounds like not that much she might have eaten them while i wasnt here. but how long should i leave her in the breeding net shes been in for about 7 hours but i dont know what time she had the other babies so can i take her out and put her back in her tank or leave her in there for longer please let me know. thanks. oh yeah and since i put her in the breeding net about 7 hours ago she hasnt had anymore fry if that helps.

ok you all might think im really really stupid but i kind of mixed up guppies for a swordtail so i have swordtail fry not guppies, if that changes the anwser to the question that i asked above let me know. thanks

You should be able to put her back in the tank. A nice breeding tank I see was one where it was divide in half and the fry go to the bottom of the divider through a small hall and the female stays about then you could just lift the divider and put her back in the tank. Chances are that she did eat em. But she also might not be done because one time my guppies (not confuseing them with swordtail) had about 20 fry or even more, it was a while ago and it was just tons of little fry swimming around the tank, not being eatin so if you put her back in the tank and see any more fry you could just catch em and take em out...but she should be ok in the tank...

It's likely she's eaten some of them but it's not uncommon for a first time to be a small litter. If she hasn't had anymore fry, I'd return her to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom