Question about my Red Cap Oranda's Wen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I have had my red cap oranda goldfish for just over a year now. I used to have him in a 10 gallon tank (I know, way too small) but I upgraded him last month to a 25 gallon tank when I moved to my new apartment. I also have a 50 gallon filter. I know that orandas begin developing their wen between 1-2 years of age. However, my oranda has shown no signs of his wen developing. In fact, the orange (red) coloring on his head has almost completely turned white. It doesn't look like a bacterial infection or anything and he seems healthy. Also, I had my water tested recently at PetSmart and they said that all the levels are fine. Is this color change normal? Will it go back to orange (red) and will he begin developing a wen? I just want to make sure that he is growing healthy. Thanks!

Honestly it's probably just poor genetics at work or a very slow maturing goldie. My bet is on poor genetic's. If it's healthy that's all that matters. It's also not uncommon for goldies to change color as they mature.

Also, he I've noticed that he has a slight dull red stripe on his tail fin. It's not very noticeable though. Is that normal? I tried to research it online but I couldn't find anything.

Maybe the red stripe is ammonia poisoning? But like rivercats said without a picture its kind of hard to tell. Maybe look up ammonia poisoning and see if that fits the bill.

No saying this is it but goldies get red lines in their fins and tail when water quality is not good or bacterial issues are beginning.

I know it's a little blurry but here's a pic of his wen. it used to almost entirely be that orange color up past his eyes.

photo.JPGSorry, idk why that didn't upload. here it is.

WAIT now i see it
I know it's a little blurry but here's a pic of his wen. it used to almost entirely be that orange color up past his eyes.

I don't see a photo. I am considering this type of goldfish and read a lot about them, I am no authority at all however, I heard that a whitish film or fluff is a normal part of the Wen growing.

That being said, and I apologize now if I sound preachy... :ermm: Please get at liquid drip test kit so that you can rule out any unsafe levels of Ammonia, Nitrite and especially Nitrates if your fish isn't getting at least 50% water changes every single week.

Pet stores are full o crap. don't bother going back just buy a drip test kit its actually fun to play mad scientist and very informative.:dance:

I'd say very poor genetic's but diet can also affect wen growth. I have some comet/orando hybrids in my one pond that have a lot better wen's. But they also took 2 or 3 years, I can't remember exactly anymore as they are over 10 years old, before they began developing wen's. Mind you they are not like the big full wen's of pure orando's but they are decent enough for hybrid's.

Goldfish need far more green in their diets than protein. Flakes are the worst diet possible for goldfish as they are poor in nutrition. I always use a good quality sinking pellet.

DL-methionine is the amino acid responsible for large wen growth. This is prevalent in greens such as garlic, spinach, peas, and spirulina, and kelp. I feed my goldies a lot of veggies and some fruits. Actually they are the bulk of their diet. Perhaps if you change your feeding including more veggies and get a good sinking pellet like the Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets you might see more development. It's worth a shot IMO.

Back
Top Bottom