Question about Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tarpon said:
Driftwood can help plecos in digestion. You also have to be careful about some plecos sucking the slime off of fish such as goldfish or angelfish or larger fish and damaging them. Make sure you have a couple hiding places for them if they need it. Mine doesn't really use them. Commons grow up to 2 feet. Idk exact size but bigger than most people can accomidate. Rubberlips get a lot smaller. I wanna say 7 inches. A bristlenose or clown or pitbull pleco are some more small varietys.
You need to supplement it's diet with algae wafers, and blanches vegetables like zucchini cucumber watermelon or peas. Mine devours anything I put in there and also will go after leftover flakes. She's so fat.
You can feed once a day or every other day. They will poop nonstop and are messy. And I would say a 50 gallon for a rubberlip bc a 7 inch fish IMO is too big to put in say a 30.

Lol she's so fat? Mines a comon spotted Pleco who's quite happy in ther but I am upgrading to a 30 or 55 gal soon so ya happy Pleco feeding ;)

Oh, and to answer your first question, I have never kept a common pleco cuz my tanks are too small, but I have heard that 125 gallons is the best for them since they can get so huge. The absolute smallest I have heard as a recommendation is a 75.

GhillieSniper115 said:
Lol she's so fat? Mines a comon spotted Pleco who's quite happy in ther but I am upgrading to a 30 or 55 gal soon so ya happy Pleco feeding ;)

Yeah her belly is very rounded. She steals my cory cats food as well:(

tarpon said:
Oh an albino bristlenose

Oh I've seen albino bristlenose bfor I was guna get one but I got a pitbull Pleco instead but passed early summer, after 3 months I've had it he was just a baby but he's in a better place now

I was thinking about some pitbulls. They have many different kinds of plecos at my lfs. Sailfins, albino bristlenoses, pitbulls, a gold nugget, commons

Okay, so my husband knew I had been looking into getting a Pleco and he decided to surprise me by getting one from our lfs yesterday. He got a beautiful common Pleco that's about 2 inches long. When I explained what you guys had said about tank size he told me that we could get a 75 gallon probably by mid October. My question is will he be okay till then? I'd hate to take him back when I know they'll ( the lfs) will probably just sell him to someone else with a small tank. I was shocked when my hubby told me they said he'd be fine in a 20 gallon. So what do you think?

LyndaB said:
I have my otos in a 16 and love love love them. They are just adorable. And very entertaining.

Easy keepers, as far as I'm concerned. Give them algae and they're happy little campers.

How many otos should you have together?

Okay, so my husband knew I had been looking into getting a Pleco and he decided to surprise me by getting one from our lfs yesterday. He got a beautiful common Pleco that's about 2 inches long. When I explained what you guys had said about tank size he told me that we could get a 75 gallon probably by mid October. My question is will he be okay till then? I'd hate to take him back when I know they'll ( the lfs) will probably just sell him to someone else with a small tank. I was shocked when my hubby told me they said he'd be fine in a 20 gallon. So what do you think?

Anyone???????????

Thanks! It gave me a reason to get the bigger tank I'd been wanting anyway! Lol!

Anyone???????????
Yeah, he will be fine until then. They do grow faster than you would think, but I think you will be ok since you have a definite plan for a bigger tank in the relatively near future. :)But, if you can't get the bigger tank soon for some reason, I would take him back. Its awesome that you want to do what is right for the fishy.(y)

Back
Top Bottom