Question about Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loraaf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
WHat is the smallest tank you guys would suggest for a common Pleco? How about a Rubber lipped Pleco? What are necessities to have when you get a Pleco? And what are common issues/ things that people do wrong when they get them?

Thanks

Driftwood can help plecos in digestion. You also have to be careful about some plecos sucking the slime off of fish such as goldfish or angelfish or larger fish and damaging them. Make sure you have a couple hiding places for them if they need it. Mine doesn't really use them. Commons grow up to 2 feet. Idk exact size but bigger than most people can accomidate. Rubberlips get a lot smaller. I wanna say 7 inches. A bristlenose or clown or pitbull pleco are some more small varietys.
You need to supplement it's diet with algae wafers, and blanches vegetables like zucchini cucumber watermelon or peas. Mine devours anything I put in there and also will go after leftover flakes. She's so fat.
You can feed once a day or every other day. They will poop nonstop and are messy. And I would say a 50 gallon for a rubberlip bc a 7 inch fish IMO is too big to put in say a 30.

So a rubber lipped will be okay for a 20 gallon tank?

I wouldn't want to see even a smaller pleco in anything less than a 30 due to their mess factor. Also, some species prefer to be in groups. Do some solid research PRIOR to purchase.

Even rubberlips reach 7 inches. In my opinion, that's too large for a 20.

I say no way. If u want one in a 30 a bristlenose would do great. That's what I have. But a 7 inch fish is too much for a 30.

Edit: oh you have a 20.. a bristlenose might be okay. If it was a 20 long it would

For your questions:

1. I wouldn't put a Common in anything less than 75gal. Ultimately they become huge. Rubberlips and decorative plecos tend to stay around 5 inches.

2. Diet - Not all plecos eat vegetables or algae. Some plecos are wood-eaters, and other plecos are scavengers and meat-eaters.

3. Nocturnal - several types of plecos (including many of the "prettier" plecos) are nocturnal and will hide all day. You'll need moonlights to actually watch them in action.

4. I've never seen a pleco actively suck on another fish. The Chinese / Golden Algae eater is very "pleco-like" but is known for sucking on and killing fish.

Just wanted to add that I did observe my husband's pleco attach himself to a goldfish.

Yeah, as far as the sucking thing I don't think you'd have to worry about it with a bristlenose. I just say that cuz I've never seen mine do it.

Ahh, it may happen with goldfish - they tend to be a bit slower than tropical fish.

I don't think I've ever heard of it happening with a small quick fish like a tetra or something haha

I only have zebra danios in my 20 gallon and because they are juveniles that I'm waiting to reach an inch long so I can take them to my local fish store. They take them in trade for store credit. My adult danios are regular breeders. Lol! I do PWC's at least once a week because they eat/poop so much so I'm not concerned with having to do more changes if that is the only issue for a smaller Pleco. Would that be the only concern for a rubber lipped Pleco? Do they need driftwood and veggies?

Rubber lipped is too big man. Think about it. 7 inches of fish. Try for a bristlenose. They sell them at petco now. Or you could get some otos

I retract my previous comment. As I've never owned that variety so I don't know from experience. Only from reading on a few sites.

Thanks for all the help. Definitely changes my mind. So what about Otocinclus's? Is a 20 gallon sufficient for them? Any special requirements?

I have my otos in a 16 and love love love them. They are just adorable. And very entertaining.

Easy keepers, as far as I'm concerned. Give them algae and they're happy little campers.

Do they eat algae wafers if there isn't a ton of natural algae? Do they need driftwood as well?

Do they eat algae wafers if there isn't a ton of natural algae? Do they need driftwood as well?

They will munch an algae wafer if they really don't have any natural algae. But remember, just because you can't see the algae doesn't mean it's not there. ;)

They do not need driftwood.

Not all otos will eat algae wafers. Some of mine do, some do not. Make sure to read the bag because some "algae wafers" do not even contain algae. YOu can grow supplemental algae on a rock in a window and you can blanch veggies if your guys do not eat wafers and there isn't enough extant algae is the tank.:)

nothing less than a 6x2 for a common or a Gibbicep etc. even then something 3'wide is better, theres heaps of plecos that are smaller than bristlenoses, the only problem is finding them and the cost that some will fetch. clowns would be ok in a 20g i think, same with chocolate zebras'or even pitbull plecs which are tiny

Back
Top Bottom