Question about Python and water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Areos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a new Python and i have a question about it. it says it's great for changing water (no more buckets) but is it safe to add new water directly from the tap after adding declorinator to the existing aquarium water? do you add declorinator later? does the declorinator work fast enough? how do you guys do it?

thx a lot.

I add the declorinator to the tank as I am filling it up using the python. I have never had any problems doing it that was

Same here. Turn your filters off, change the water, add the dechlor, then I wait about 10 min or so until I turn the filtration back on.

Either add the dechlorinator before you start adding water or as you are adding water. Just make sure to dose enough for the entire aquarium volume instead of just the amount of water being added.

I always just make sure to put it in just before I start adding the water back in. Been doing it for a couple years now, no problems yet...except for that one time I forgot to add my dechlorinator...haha, by baby african cichlids didn't take too kindly to that.

What about the difference in temperature? Wouldn't it be difficult to see how hot/cold the water is?

well, I've basically just gotten a feel for it. I can usually tell if the temperature is close enough just by running it over my hands.

I cannot hook my python up to my faucet, the backpresure causes the faucet to leak and floods the floor with water...not fun.

So what I have to do is put a bucket under the faucet i nthe tub, put a huge f'in powerherad in the bucket, and hook that up to the python and pump the water, this has the benefit of allowing me to put a thermometer in the bucket to see what the temp is,

I add the dechlor to the tank as well, never had any problems, even when doing massive water changes (75% or more)

What about the difference in temperature? Wouldn't it be difficult to see how hot/cold the water is?

I just open up the bottom of the python spigot that connects to the faucet (same as if you were draining your tank) and run the water under there on to my thermometer and get it a few tenths of a degree above the tank temperature while in the sink.

A hand test is sufficient to match temperatures to get it as close as possible. In reality, a slight temperature difference isn't going to be too much harm. Colder water is often used to simulate rainfall and start breeding behavior in some fish. Also if you did as much as a 5% water change, I would venture to guess that dechlorinator is not necessary. I've done it on my goldfish barrel before. I'm not recommending it, but I'm pointing out that it's not an exact science. Dosing the full volume of the tank as you fill up is fine.

Back
Top Bottom