question about quarintine tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebekahbirch

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey,
do quarunteen tanks need to be running all the time?
or can i just 'start it up' again when i need it? like, keep the water in it and only plug it in when necessary, or does it have to be runnig constantly (even when empty) to be effective?
thanks in advance, Becky

I don't have a qt tank, but it would probably have to run to keep the water params good and steady, and so the filter keeps all the beneficial bacteria going.

hey,
do quarunteen tanks need to be running all the time?
or can i just 'start it up' again when i need it? like, keep the water in it and only plug it in when necessary, or does it have to be runnig constantly (even when empty) to be effective?
thanks in advance, Becky

IMO .....

Unless your an LFS, Breeder or a serious avid Aquarist that's constantly getting new fish, you can set up a QT as needed ... and really it's just new stock QT's that could use a filter, since you want to QT new stock for at least a month. That's why most members run a second or even third(smaller filter) that can be used as a QT.

In a medical QT, where you may have to dose meds and your going to be constantly doing PWC's daily since clean water's a must for fish to heal so a filter's really a moot point ... ammonia shouldn't really build up to be harmful. An air-stone will do the job in helping to provide oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom