Question about raising kh level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xzap

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm currently at 4dkh, I'd like to get it up to at least 5.
I added cc a week or so ago to a fluval basket. Would another basket of cc help raise it?

Since I started using co2 my pH is down to 7.3, I'm shooting for 7.0 and my co2 level is 6.014ppm, I'm shooting for 15ppm. I'm running my co2 at approx. 1 bubble per second. Will another reactor help since it's a 90 gal tank?

Thx,

Dave

DIY CO2 or pressurized? DIY isn't enough for a 90 gallon.

using CC to raise hardness is sketchy...no set amount of CC will raise Kh by a specific level. Its a lot easier to use baking soda.
I think, but don't quote me, that 1 tsp per 5 gallons raises dKh by 1.

It's pressurized malkore.

co2.jpg

Thx,
Dave

Here is a product that I have seen online. I don't use it, but it looks like something that could be beneficial to you.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9897&N=2004+2021+2146962301

Baking soda is another alternative too, but be very careful and don't put it right into the tank, because it can raise the KH quite rapidly. Experiment in some jugs or buckets of water until you get the values that you're looking for. With a 90 gallon, you're not going to have the fluctuations that I would in my 5 gallon tanks, but it's a good idea to experiment outside of the tank, and when you get the readings you want, you can gradually add water with the desired readings to the tank.

So I could add approx. 1 tbs of baking soda to raise the kh 1 degree..
From cz's previous calculations:

29g
3.31g / 2.2g/cm^3 * 1tsp/4.9cm^3 = .31 tsp

Thx,
Dave

Found some info while cleaning out my email Inbox this morning:

Ways to increase kH:
. Adding sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). One teaspoon of baking soda added to 50 liters of water can raise the kH of the water by approx 4 OdH without a major affect on pH.
. Adding commercially available products to increase buffering capacity

more info: http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/chemistry.html

Thanks malkore. My pH has dropped to 7.0 now, my target. This morning it's back up to 7.2. Is that just part of the photosyn. process ?

Thx,

Dave

hmmmm...normally over-night, your pH will actually drop. Plants don't use much CO2 at night, so it builds up, making more carbonic acid, thus lowering pH.

Keep tabs on it, or bump CO2 flow up by just a fraction of a turn on the needle valve, and see where that puts you.

what kind of reactor? A good single reactor can accomodate a 150gal tank.

As long as CO2 bubbles aren't escaping the reactor and floating the surface of the display tank, you can simply increase CO2 flow rate.

I dont understand the diffusor. Does the pump force water into the top of the chamber, slowing the bubbles travelling up the ladder? Where do the bubbles that reach the top go?

If you add baking soda, add 1 teaspoon, not 1 tablespoon :)

Dave, my DIY active diffusors knock bubbles around to force them to break up, which I would think would be more effective than forcing CO2 down a ladder, but if you reach your target levels you shouldn't need another diffusor. Since you're DIY inclined maybe slap together a quick gravel vac-type diffusor and see if you can get more CO2. If you get the same numbers (not dependent on pH controller), you know you have complete diffusion, and another reactor is unneeded. Just a thought.

The new tank looks great btw. :)

Can you slow down the pump so the bubbles move slower? More contact time = more CO2 dissolved into the water.

The best I can get is pH of 7.1 overnight and 7.3 during the day. I do watch a lot of "Fish TV", I'm gonna cut back my lights on time. I normally have them on up to as much as 15 hrs. a day.

Thx,

Dave

Thats after malkore's suggestion of opening the needle valve?

Back
Top Bottom