Question about Salt in Freshwater...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nzpv03

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought so Aquarium Pharm. sea salt and as the instructions go...1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons...my question is how/when should I add more salt during water changes? In the bucket of new water or in the tank? Should I put as much salt as water I change or treat the whole tank? Ah I hope I didn't confuse everyone 8O

Most people don't salt at all unless they are treating a sick fish.

However, I do salt my tanks. I have some fish that are near brackish (mollies), and have difficult tap water, so do partial changes with RO/DI and feel the salt helps raise the electrolytes, in addition to adding trace element mixtures (you can buy trace element compounds for RO/DI).

I also feel it is good prevention. There are many schools of thought on salting tanks.

I dose a palmful per 10 gallons, directly to the tank rather than dissolving it prior to addition, as this allows the salt to dissolve gradually, rather than all at once, as the salt dissolves in the tank.

on partial changes, i adjust accordingly, for example, if changing 50% of a 20 gal, i add 1 palmful of salt.

ahah so the whole electrolyte story is a fluke? I knew i should have asked before I bought it! It won't do any harm right? Thanks fishypeanut that helps a lot! Ya I wanted to use it as a preventative...do you recommend i continue with this salt regimen?

I personally don't add salt unless treating illness. What kind of fish do you have in your tank? Some fish such as loaches are very sensitive to salt and it can harm them. I would keep it on hand in case you need it only.

I have a few africans...the lfs told me to get it..then again..the lfs wants my money lol =)

Are you talking about sea salt as being marine salt? That would be for SW tanks. For a freshwater tank, the salt that is used is just plain aquarium salt. If it's marine salt you are using, the salt itself is the same I believe, but there's more than just salt in it, such as the minerals and other items needed in a SW tank.

Lonewolfblue said:
Are you talking about sea salt as being marine salt? That would be for SW tanks. For a freshwater tank, the salt that is used is just plain aquarium salt. If it's marine salt you are using, the salt itself is the same I believe, but there's more than just salt in it, such as the minerals and other items needed in a SW tank.
It's Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Salt...so It's not for marine?

No, it's not marine salt. It's used only for freshwater setups.

I don't use salt anymore. I used to use it with my eels, as they prefer some salt in the water, but have stopped using it. It's not really needed, IMO.

Marine salt is used for SW setups, as well as Brackish.

It's up to you. It's usually a personal preference. But you don't want to use a lot, as some fish can be bothered by salt. Need to research your fish, then make the decision.

okk thanks!! Does anyone know what cichlids think about salt? lol

The elecrolyte thing is true. the salt helps to increase the fishes electrolytes and aids in the healing process of the fish. The only place i would use salt is in a Q tank while teaming it up with melafix or whatever is needed to aid the fish in question.

I have a snail so salt is a big no-no in my main tank :) Also if you have scaleless fish they might get agitated by the salt.

-Pleco

Pleco said:
Also if you have scaleless fish they might get agitated by the salt.

-Pleco

Depends highly on the fish. Fish such as my fire eels actually prefer some salt, and can thrive in tanks up to low-end brackish. But like I said above, research 2 things, 1 - The fish you have, and 2 - The fish you want to get.

As for cichlids, I'm not real sure. But I think there's specific cichlid salt you can get for certain cichlids. But I'm sure another member in here will have more knowlege on this and will chime in. :)

I have all the fish I want (all african cichlids) and won't be getting anything diff... thanks for all of your replies though! very appreciated!

okk I definitely will! Maybe post the same topic in the cichlid forum?? What do ya think??

I am keeping African Cichlids in our 150 gal tank and have never used salt in it. They have bright coloration and are reproducing like crazy. Salt is not needed. I see it as a waste of money unless treating for a disease.

nzpv03 said:
okk thanks!! Does anyone know what cichlids think about salt? lol

well, there is such a thing as cichlid salt, but its purpose is to increase the general hardness of your tank water, and is really for African rift lake cichlids, who live in very hard water...what we call 'liquid rock' :)

it might also raise Kh...i'm not sure...don't use the stuff, but I know Travis has in his 125gal.

Back
Top Bottom