Question about Seashells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a bunch of seashells I bought at the craftstore a long time ago and I was just curious if you can put them in the tank without screwing any of the parameters up or if it's just safer to leave them out.

They are real seashells, so I take it that I shouldn't use them for the same reason I don't use rocks that fizz

It depends on what kind of fish you have. Livebearers like mollies prefer hard alkaline water, so seashells won't do any harm.

The vinegar test means dropping a bit of vinegar on a rock or shell to see it it reacts. If it fizzes, acidic water will also react with it, relaesing minerals, hardening the water, and raising pH.

How would alkaline water react?

I'm perusing my new tank options, and I have some beautiful shells that have been hiding in a cabinet... my water usually sits at a pH around 8.0

I think they would make nice, natural looking decorations... but I'm nervous about adding them to a tank...

If the pH is 8.0, the seashells would help buffer the pH. Crushed coral substrate does the same thing, I use it in my african tanks. Seashells alone won't keep the pH from dropping from biological activity over the long run. I add baking soda and epsom salt to my water to raise and stabilize the pH between partials. The Tanganykian shell-dweller cichlids actually spawn in snail shells, and would be a good choice for a small (arouund to gal) tank with hard, alkaline water. I found out through experience it's easier to raise and maintain high pH than to lower it.

Back
Top Bottom