Question about Senegal Bichir and Freshwater/Brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
My teacher, who now has my senegal bichir Rose, was wondering if they can go in brackish conditions. She couldn't find anything on it except something about they came from...Scotland? or something ._. (hehe loch ness probably) So I was just curious if anyone knew if they were strictly freshwater or if they can deal with brackish conditions

Well to my knowledge they arent brackishwater fish and they dont come from scotland they are from Africa. Also keep them away from small fish as they will make food of them.

http://www.polypterus.info/profiles.htm

Well, there is a post to the various polypterus species.

Senegal Bichir's (infact all Bichirs) are from africa. They are also freshwater only. They may be able to handle SOME small amount of salinity in the water, but i really wouldn't do it or recommend it.

Hope that helps

All polypterids are freshwater fish.While they may be found in rivers near estuaries they inhabit fully freshwater areas.
thereare species found in Lake Tanganyika which is hard alkaline water they species involved are found in swampy areas where freshawter rivers empty into the lake
but they do not inhabit the lake proper-Anne

Back
Top Bottom