Question about stocking my 29 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave_2105

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all I'm fairly new to this and I'm getting confused about how many fish my tank can hold. I have a 29 gal tank with a fluval 3 plus internal filter. I currently have

8 neon tetra's
4 tiger barb's
2 female guppy's
2 peppered corry's ( getting another 2 soon)

Will that be near my limit? Or could I get some sort off centre peace fish??

Thanks for any help :)

I would say after you put the other two cories in the tank you would be OK to add a centerpiece fish, depending on which species you're looking at if you add more filtration. While the fluval is rated at 34 gallons the 1 inch per fish rule would certaintly apply unless more filtration is added.

One thing to keep in mind is that tiger barbs are fin nippers and will harass your guppies especially when kept in groups smaller than 6+. If your tigers seem to leave the guppies alone and your filtration is upped than I would say go for adding a centerpiece depending on what type you were looking at.

the inch per gallon rule almost never applies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that considering bio load is more appropriate that the inch per gallon, but a lot of people use both. I used bio load with my 29g and it is doing great. I am cycling a 72g now and I am going to use the same method. You'll get a better feel by going slow and researching the particular fish you want. More filtation is a plus, concentrate on keeping your fish comfortable and putting less maintenance on yourself down the road.

Proper Fish Stocking

Hello dave...

I'm from the old school of one inch of fish body for every gallon of tank water. This a safe, tried and true method of stocking your tank, but only refers to small fish. Common sense should tell you not to put a 10 inch fish in a 29 G tank.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello dave...

I'm from the old school of one inch of fish body for every gallon of tank water. This a safe, tried and true method of stocking your tank, but only refers to small fish. Common sense should tell you not to put a 10 inch fish in a 29 G tank.

B

+1. Or too many small fish. :)

I think that considering bio load is more appropriate that the inch per gallon, but a lot of people use both. I used bio load with my 29g and it is doing great. I am cycling a 72g now and I am going to use the same method. You'll get a better feel by going slow and researching the particular fish you want. More filtation is a plus, concentrate on keeping your fish comfortable and putting less maintenance on yourself down the road.

Hello Amicus. There are a number of things to consider: Water filtration, aeration, tank surface area, tank maintenance, you name it. All have their usefullness. But, by using this old rule, you can be assured your tank will be safe from the ammonia spike caused by overcrowding.

B

Thanks for all this advice :) I am planning on upgrading the filtration to a canister filter as soon as I can afford to as there quite pricey. I have a smaller fluval internal filter out of a 10 gal tank would adding that do for now? With the tiger barb's so far they swim around together and leave the guppies alone. They are still only small so I'll wait and see if that changes. I've got to say tiger barb's are one of my favourite fish so if need be I'll find a new home for the guppies. I'm finding it hard to decide on a centre piece fish. I've read that a few ppl on here have a dwarf gourami. Would that be a good choice and would my tiger barb's leave it alone?

Also wen I upgrade to a canister filter I've read it's better to get one with a higher rating than the tank. Is that true??

Thanks

Hello Amicus. There are a number of things to consider: Water filtration, aeration, tank surface area, tank maintenance, you name it. All have their usefullness. But, by using this old rule, you can be assured your tank will be safe from the ammonia spike caused by overcrowding.

B

I am aware that all of these things are important to a tank's survival. I also understand that the inch per gallon rule has been around for a while and is to be respected but there are other factors like bioload that need to be considered as well. The inch per gallon rule only counts for a general consideration of bio load so other things must be taken into consideration, which is why researching all aspects of an aquarium is essential.

Ive been looking at a Fluval 205 which is rated 200 L and has quite a few good reviews so i think once i sort some money out I'll invest in one

Back
Top Bottom