Question About Sump and Also Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr.diggler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased a 125 gal... Within the next weeks i am going to be setting it up. I would like this freshwater tank to be a sand bottom, My first question is can i use sand from the beach near me. Second, I am going to be building my first sump. My tank wasnt pre-drilled, so I asked a man at my LFS and he helped me..
so far i have this list of materials to buy...
2 pumps
large sheet of plexyglass
aquarium silicone
bio balls
tray for bio balls
carbon pad
ammonia pad
hosing...
Can anyone think of anything else i would need. Getting back to the sand i would be soakin it and rinsing it before settin up the tank.

Another question any suggestions on the size of the pump i should be going with.

Does anyone know where i can get some nice driftwood for a good price..

Thanks for the help

Boil the sand to kill off any undesirables, don't just wash it.

I'm kinda new to the whole sump thing. I'm going to be setting one up soon myself. Your best bet would be to get something that's going to turn the tank over 6 times an hour. For a 125 gal that would be about 750 gph. I personally would go with something a bit higher just to be on the safe side.

Don't know where you could find driftwood at a nice price, but as far as preparing it for your tank...

I soaked mine in 180+ degree water for 8 hour periods 3 times a day (before work, after work, before bed). After one week there was no discoloration in the water run off.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom