question about tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomlintm

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just started over last monday on my 20hg tank ammonia nitrate and nitrite at 0.0 ppm with 2 corys and 4 days after i added another cory and i tested the the water the day after i added the new cory the ammonia was at 2.0 nitrate and nitrites sre at 0.0 ppm and the water was clear and now for a few days the waters been cloudy and i noticed today there is like rust looking spots on the back of the tank and the filter is cloging up slowly so im wondering am i doing anything wrong or am i suppost to let the tank go or what i want to do it right this time ya no

ya but for a newly started tank need ammonia to start up the nitrite cycle

It is better to do a Fish LESS cycle and let the bacteria/ ecosystem build up, the corys are hardy fish but adding 2 one day and then adding more is gonna bring up the ammonia and nitrates, you should add the fish more gradually, wait about 1-2 weeks in between adding the fish! check out this article it may help out some!! Good luck!
Important Information for Those New to the Aquarium Hobby - Aquarium Advice

whn i say i started over on my tank i mean it i already had my tank over a month and i had to replace th water bc i over stacked m tank with 15 glow fish at once and thats when i had my corys and added one after i started over

Sorry I can't remember the info about your tank- what filter do you have and what media is in it? What lighting do you have over it?
How much water do you change, and how often?
Do you still just have a few cories in it?

Sorry I can't remember the info about your tank- what filter do you have and what media is in it? What lighting do you have over it?
How much water do you change, and how often?
Do you still just have a few cories in it?

20hg A 30g marineland biowheel filtertraion system a fluresent light and after i started over last monday i have 3 cories now i read unless u need to desperetly change the water that i need to let it go for 14 days

20hg A 30g marineland biowheel filtertraion system a fluresent light and after i started over last monday i have 3 cories now i read unless u need to desperetly change the water that i need to let it go for 14 days

But with fish in, and an ammonia reading, you do need to change the water. Just don't change the filter media because that's where the ammonia munching bacteria are. Just a light rinse in some dechlorinated water to get rid of excess debris to keep the water flow is fine.

ok answer this how will nitrite form with out ammonia just curiius

yes but there only 2.0ppm right now or alittle higher but i been going by this website it gives me a day by day what goes on in the tank idk if its right but can you take alook at it

Aquarium cycling information.

yes but there only 2.0ppm right now or alittle higher but i been going by this website it gives me a day by day what goes on in the tank idk if its right but can you take alook at it

Aquarium cycling information.

Fishyou.com 'alternative fish keeping'. Yeah, as in 'alternative to ethical fish keeping'. I didn't read his article. He advocates fish-in cycling- as in purposely buying cheap 'hardy' fish to cycle your tank. If his methods appeal to you, then you should be asking him your questions. Others in this forum have provided you with links to information on tank cycling, but instead of taking their advice, you have found your own site, and are now asking for help in this forum, to follow that method? Seriously?

no not to follow that method just seems like a more understanding for me is all but idk its right or not ya no b.c you guys are telling me to take the ammonia out but if i do that the nitrite wont grow to get ride of the ammonia from what i have see you guys say so help me understand if ammonia grows nitrites how is taking out the ammonia suppost help the nitrites to grow im so confused :( i have ahdh i learn slower then others thats why i constently as for help :(

im sorry for everything i read you all articles and very informing thank you all you wont be seeing me much anymore or at all bye

I hope everything goes ok, don't get too frustrated, it gets easier with time. If ur going to keep your fish in go by the article I posted earlier. If you have any questions were here to help not criticize

Don't stop coming by that is what this site is for just like S8B said... we are all here to HELP, not judge! ask as many questions as you want you have to learn somehow no one on this site was born with this infinite aquarium information, we all had to start somewhere (which usually involves questions being asked)! Keep your head up and I'm sure you will have it figured out in no time! When I first started keeping fish no one even bothered to explain to me the cycling process or ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, etc... I actually ended up losing almost everything in my first tank because I pretty much poisoned the little fish with ammonia! just keep researching and asking questions, that's all you can do! Good Luck and I hope everything works out for you soon! :fish1::fish2:

Back
Top Bottom