Question about tetras and a 10 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsamrlx17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Apologize if this is the wrong thread, I can't see the full titles on my phone. Anyway, due to an issue with a couple other tanks in my house I was left with no choice but to move 3 more tetras into my 10 gallon with 3 other neon tetras. ( I forget the name of the tetras I added but they are bigger than the neons) so a total of 6 tetras in only 10 gallons. My question is how long will they be okay in such a small tank and is there anything I can do to make it less of a problem in the meantime? Answers much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

Water changes and testing your water..... you'll see from the tests how much and how often you will have to do pwc's! I am not good on stocking questions... but just keep an eye on it... you might be ok with 6 neons in a tank... I'm thinking the bigger ones might be cardinal tetras?

i think they should be fine because the neons do stay small but there are some tetras that can get a foot long life silver barbs so just depends witch kind

True they do stay small but you have to take in account their level of activity. I am not a good judge on how many you can keep in a 10 gallon but I have tetras in my 29 and they are very active fish

It all depends what kind of tetras they are. For starters neons and what ever the others are need at least 6 of their own kind. Since they are bigger than the neons I would say they aren't suitable for a 10g. Though that's a pure guess at the moment.
Can you post a picture of them?

image-2440450061.jpg

Here is a picture not so good but hopefully it will give you a better idea. I know that the 10 gallon is too small for them long-term but I'm just wondering if it's going to hurt them to be in there for a little while. Thank you for the replies.

It isn't the best living arrangement but it won't really harm them. I would consider getting the serpaes into their own larger tank and then upping the number of each school to at least 6. Serpaes dont' get too large and either of those species could be OK in a 10g alone. What would concern me more is not having a large enough school will stress the fish out possibly reduce their lifespans.

Mumma.of.two said:
I agree they look like serpaes. IMO they don't belong in a 10g even with a proper school. They simple need more room than it can offer.

I agree
The neons also need a larger tank

And that's where my expertise ends lol I know nothing about Serpaes, I only have neons and emperor tetras. Good luck with your fish though! I'm positive there are many people here that can help you

Don't mistake my post for meaning 10 gallons is an ideal size for either of these species. They will live in a 10g that is well maintained, but a 20 long would be much better because they need room to swim. 10 gallons is not an optimal tank size for most of the species that people want to keep.

Back
Top Bottom