Question about tetras, and a general hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joekoug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, I have been lurking for a few months now and this is my first post, so I wanted to say hi and thanks to all for the unbelievable amount of info here! My question is : I know tetras are schooling fish and prefer odd groups of 5 or more... Does it have to be groups like say, 5 neon tetras, 5 glo-lite tetras, 5 green fire tetras, etc... Or can I do like: 5 glo-lite tetras, 4 neons, 3 black neons, a few true rummynose, a few purple emperors, a few green fires etc... TIA

Joe
55 gal fw

Welcome. Although some tetras will school with other species, they tend to school with conspecifics, so you should aim for a decent small school of each species you stock.

[center:f0d68cfbf8] :smilecolors: Welcome to AA, joekoug! :n00b: [/center:f0d68cfbf8]

Is your tank going to be all tetras?

I have a moderatly planted 55 with the following occupants: 2 regular plecos, 5 glolight tetras, 3 blue gourami's, and 3 bala sharks. Now before everyone starts yelling, in a year when I buy my condo and my balas and plecos get bigger, they are going in a planted 150 I'm slowly puting together and the 55 is going sw reef. I love how my tetras school and I thouhgt it would look nice to have a larger tetra school moving about.

Joe

I would be careful that the balas don't eat the tetras--that's my only concern. If you plan on upgrading, then I would start off with your favorite tetras in schooling numbers and add more when you upgrade the tank. Post pics of your current tank. How large are your plecos? How do they do in a planted tank? I have a common in with Mbuna cichlids and the smaller varieties in other tanks, some with plants.

MY balas are still babies, about an inch and a half in length. The plecos are about 2 inches long and get along fine with everyone else. No tearing apart my plants either! I will post pics tonight with my new digital camera.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom