Question about transfering bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ptray

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got a free 29g (yeah!) And I'm looking to use it as a bare bottom tank for a few weeks while I rescale my 250g. I also upgraded to a larger canister so I can move 1 of my multiple HOB over. If I move the HOB and transfer the water from my tank can I skip cycling and move the fish too?

PS. Also have heater, lights, cover, and a few old ornaments for hiding.

2 small angels, 2small bala, 5 platy, small pictus, small red tail,

That should work fine, but I'd take a precautionary measure. After moving the filter and water over, add 3 ppm ammonia to your new tank and make sure that your ammonia and nitrite levels are zero 24 hours later. If the bacteria in your old HOB filter can do that, take out 50% of the water and add more water and the fish from your 250 gallon to your new tank.

Tank Cycling

Got a free 29g (yeah!) And I'm looking to use it as a bare bottom tank for a few weeks while I rescale my 250g. I also upgraded to a larger canister so I can move 1 of my multiple HOB over. If I move the HOB and transfer the water from my tank can I skip cycling and move the fish too?

PS. Also have heater, lights, cover, and a few old ornaments for hiding.

2 small angels, 2small bala, 5 platy, small pictus, small red tail,

Hello pt...

You can move the HOB. That's where most of the good bacteria lives. It lives in the filter media and on anything in the tank with a surface, like decorations, driftwood, plants, etc. Just keep water flowing over the media to provide oxygen and the bacteria is fine.

The bacteria must have a surface area so it can live. Transferring the old water won't do anything. There's very little bacteria in the water.

B

Back
Top Bottom