question about under gravel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rich6459

Aquarium Advice Freak
How does the under gravel filter work and do you have to hook it up to the water filter and air pump?
Thanks rich

There have been several threads on this forum about UGFs lately. You are going to get wide swings of opinions on UGFs, ranging from "outdated and pointless and too much work" to "I use them and love them".

I have used them for years and here is my opinion. They work well as an ADDITION to some other form of filter. But you MUST use powerheads, NOT an air pump. Use a substrate (gravel) that is not too fine, or too coarse. (I use gravel that is about 1/4 inch per piece, and keep the depth of the gravel to about one inch.) There are very mixed opinions about using them in a planted tank, but generally it seems that more people feel this is a bad idea. You MUST learn to use a gravel cleaner the right way, and use it well and regularly.

That is my advice for UGFs, in a nut shell. Search this site for more specific info...there is quite a bit.

The powerhead has a small filter pad and some carbon (Air bubbles push the water through them, collecting more beneficial bacteria) while the air pump doesnt (Just pulls water through the gravel.)

I have never used one and dont plan to, they really just collect gunk under the gravel, filtering to some point, but not really. Make sure to use a gravel vac once a week (when doing the water change) to get the 'gunk' out, if not done, the 'gunk' under the gravel could decay and make the ammonia rise.

The powerhead has a small filter pad and some carbon (Air bubbles push the water through them, collecting more beneficial bacteria) while the air pump doesnt (Just pulls water through the gravel.)QUOTE]

Huh? My power heads do not have filter pads or carbon...not sure what this means.

A power head produces MUCH more pulling power than an air pump. This higher pulling rate results in better flow down thru the gravel, and thru the plate. This results in MUCH less crud build-up under the plate. If you are getting crud under your plate, then your power head is too puny for the plate.

One of my stands is an open wrought iron metal type. This enables me to get below that tank, and look up to see the open underside of the tank (36 gallons). I can see the entire underside of the UGF plate. That tank has had a UGF (and a hang on back filter, too) for more than 3 years and there is only a small corner with crud, maybe one inch square. (The opposite corner is crud free...baffles me no end!)

Several months ago, I removed the UGF system from my 75 gallon. No noticeable crud was released when I pulled it out, but I had two hefty power heads going, one for each plate. The only reason I pulled it was because I had finally aquired an Eheim cannister, and I figured that I did not need the UGF. Well, the next time I rescape that tank, the UGF is going back IN! I am seeing MUCH more crud being pulled out of the gravel now when I gravel clean, close to double what was pulled out when I had the UGF in place.:8O: The poop is collecting in the gravel, but not breaking down! Same fish, same food, just lots more crud hanging around! I never suspected that might happen!

Back
Top Bottom