Question about water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. I've been doing a lot of water changes lately trying to do an in fish cycle with my 28gal. I thought I was doing it right but I've been doing some reading and have read some conflicting facts. This is what I've been doing.

I have a python water changer that hooks up to my sink and uses pressure to siphon water out of the tank. Then I switch the python over to fill mode and refill my tank with the tap water. (testing the temperature ahead of time) I then immediately add API Stress Coat to dechloirnate the water.

I've read some articles that say to let the water sit in a bucket overnight or to dechlorinate it before adding it to the tank. My problem is I've been doing daily 50% pwc and there's no way I have enough buckets to hold 14 gallons of water. There's also no way I can let it sit overnight because I have dogs and they'd probably drink it.

You do not need to let it sit overnight .... I put de=chlorinator in a bucket and then goes right into the tank. A python's the way to go so your doing it the correct way.

The letting the bucket sit overnight is really .. IMO .. if you want to let the chlorine naturally "evaporate / dissipate" out of the water. Does not work effectively with chloramines which lingers in water longer ... which is why de-chlorinator is vital.

The majority of municipalities now use chloramines instead of of free chlorine, so letting water sit out overnight really no longer serves a purpose since the chloramines do not evaporate out.

The majority of us here use Seachem Prime as our water conditioner, and the way we use a Python is to add a dose of Prime directly to the tank based on the total volume of the aquarium...not just the water being replaced. Personally, I turn off my filter, use the Python to vacuum and remove water, add the Prime directly to my tank and swish it around a bit, add the water directly back into the tank, wait a few minutes for the Prime to detoxify the ammo and chlorine (from chloramines), and turn the filter back on. I think you'll find that's the method pretty much all of us use for water changing systems like Pythons. :)

You do not need to let it sit overnight .... I put de=chlorinator in a bucket and then goes right into the tank. A python's the way to go so your doing it the correct way.

The letting the bucket sit overnight is really .. IMO .. if you want to let the chlorine naturally "evaporate / dissipate" out of the water. Does not work effectively with chloramines which lingers in water longer ... which is why de-chlorinator is vital.

Ok phew:lol: Good to know. Thanks!

Aqua315 said:
Hi everyone. I've been doing a lot of water changes lately trying to do an in fish cycle with my 28gal. I thought I was doing it right but I've been doing some reading and have read some conflicting facts. This is what I've been doing.

I have a python water changer that hooks up to my sink and uses pressure to siphon water out of the tank. Then I switch the python over to fill mode and refill my tank with the tap water. (testing the temperature ahead of time) I then immediately add API Stress Coat to dechloirnate the water.

I've read some articles that say to let the water sit in a bucket overnight or to dechlorinate it before adding it to the tank. My problem is I've been doing daily 50% pwc and there's no way I have enough buckets to hold 14 gallons of water. There's also no way I can let it sit overnight because I have dogs and they'd probably drink it.

I don't think you let it sit overnight, I don't because I have a little brother living with me that is sometimes destructive...
What I do is put in my conditioners and such, mix the water well, and then let it sit for a minute. I don't know if this is how you do it bu it works for me.

The majority of municipalities now use chloramines instead of of free chlorine, so letting water sit out overnight really no longer serves a purpose since the chloramines do not evaporate out.

The majority of us here use Seachem Prime as our water conditioner, and the way we use a Python is to add a dose of Prime directly to the tank based on the total volume of the aquarium...not just the water being replaced. Personally, I turn off my filter, use the Python to vacuum and remove water, add the Prime directly to my tank and swish it around a bit, add the water directly back into the tank, wait a few minutes for the Prime to detoxify the ammo and chlorine (from chloramines), and turn the filter back on. I think you'll find that's the method pretty much all of us use for water changing systems like Pythons. :)

Ok I didn't know I should turn the filter off. I'll add the stress coat (since that's what I have) ahead of time before adding the water then.

Aqua315 said:
Ok I didn't know I should turn the filter off. I'll add the stress coat (since that's what I have) ahead of time before adding the water then.

Turning the filter off gives the dechlorinator time to detoxify the disinfectants in the water before being sucked up into the beneficial bacteria in the filter media. I'm not sure it's mandatory, but I worked too hard growing those little buggers to chance it :)

Back
Top Bottom