Question about water changes and pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 7.4 pH straight out of the tap. My tanks vary from 7.4 to 8.2.

If i do 50% water changes 1x per week would the 7.4 be dangerous for the fish in the 8.0 and 8.2?

All of my fish seem fine for a while BUT I have had a problem with wild caught Corydoras Hasbrosus and this may be it.

My tanks are as follows:

Straight out of tap: 7.4
24hrs out of tap and aerated: Not sure yet
5 gallon with betta pH 8.0
20 gallon ISO with 8.0 3 Bosemani Rainbows and 1 Australian Rainbow 8.0
28 gallon (6 C. Hasbrosus, 6 Neon Tetras and 4 Threadfin Rainbows)
75 gallon (4 False Julii Cories, 6 Peppered Cories, 10 Flame Tetras, 10 Red Eye Tetras) 7.4

Clearly for the 75 gallon all is good. My Betta tank and 28 gallon are due for a water change the 28 gallon needs one. The water parameters are all fine 0 Ammonia and Nitrite and 5-10 Nitrate. I just don't want to pH shock any fish. I've lost 5 C. Hasbrosus so far :(

Make that 6. Maybe it is high pH in general and they are wild caught. Maybe the LFS will take them back. Anyway I did switch out 5 gallons in the 28 gallon yesterday since it is due for a water change. I seem to lost them around water changes :/

Not yet. I am going to try Indian Almond Leaves thanks to Rivercats suggestion. I may try Pete and/or more driftwood over time. I'm mostly concerned about water changes and if they can cause a problem.

Thanks!

I would add driftwood, maybe try smaller water changes a couple of times of week instead of 1 big one that way the change in the ph won't be as big.

jlbfish said:
Not yet. I am going to try Indian Almond Leaves thanks to Rivercats suggestion. I may try Pete and/or more driftwood over time. I'm mostly concerned about water changes and if they can cause a problem.

Thanks!

I've heard that they can on smaller tanks like yours so maybe smaller water changes or a 50% every two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom