Question About Zucchini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Over the past couple of weeks I've started to offer my Pleco cucumbers or zucchini a few times a week. Well, me being the bad mom that I am... I forgot to buy more over this past weekend. I do have a couple of zucchini slices left over from last week, but they have light brown patches on them - it's NOT completely brown, not even close actually! This obviously means that it's no longer fresh and that it's starting to go bad. My question is, is it safe to still feed to my Pleco? Common sense tells me to trash it because it's no good, but I just wanted to make sure before I do. I know some people who feed their dogs a natural diet and they will still feed veggies that are starting to go bad with no problem. I was just wondering if the same is true for fish.

Thanks,
- Mandy

I think you answered your own question. Would you want to eat it? Not saying that our fish should eat better than us (my mom was notorius for cutting around the "aged' parts of fruits and veggies) but I would only give my fish the freshest available.

Have you considered slicing an entire zucchini and freezing them? I do this and have a supply forever.

Nope, I wouldn't want to eat it, but I wouldn't want to eat the algae wafers or flakes either so that doesn't really say much. :D

I went ahead and tossed it. The Pleco just looks so pitiful pacing where the clip normally is so I figured I'd post a question to see if it would be ok. I'll make a special trip to the store tonight for him. :)

Thanks,
- Mandy

i have had brown spots on my zucchini and i just cut them off and rinsed it and put it in there anyway and they still eat it. The only time i won't feed the veggies is if they are slimy or actually bad bad. If they are just kinda wrinkly and getting brown spots, i will still use it as long as you cut off the brown spots. I actually think they kind of like the sort of decaying vegetable matter better.

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up tossing it and I went out today and bought a nice big one! I sliced it up and froze the rest of it. Now we should be good to go for a while. :)

- Mandy

If I wouldn't eat it, then I certainly wouldn't feed it to my fish. And rotting decaying food can't be good for the water.

Jchillin said:
(my mom was notorius for cutting around the "aged' parts of fruits and veggies)

Oh gross....my mom too. She had no problem just throwing away the bread slices that had actually mold on them and serving up the others. The same with cheese. She also got away with powdered milk 8O My kids have no appreciation for how lucky they are :D

Back
Top Bottom