Question... Bala shark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
From what I've read about bala sharks, they sound really cool. But I've read they like to be in groups and can get really big.

Would my 75 gal be too small for maybe 3 bala sharks? Also, do you see any problems with compatibility? My sig below is up to date with the fish I have.

well, they get up to 10 inches long and it is suggested that they be kept in nothing smaller than 70 gallons. What are the deminsions on your tank? So long as it provides plenty of swimming and turning room, 3 should be ok, IMO.

yup, I've heard they are good solo as well. Just dont have anything in the tank which might be able to fit in their mouth! Hehe.

The dimensions are 48 x 18 x 20 high, so plenty swimming room. If you think they're okay solo, I guess I'll start out with one and see how that goes, then maybe add one or two later if it looks good.

Thanks. :D

dont just have two because they may pick on eachother, or the bigger one on the smaller one, too much which causes stress.

I've got 3 of them in my 90gal and they seem quite happy.... I did have only 2 for a short while and the bigger guy was chasing the little guy around a fair bit. after the few days with the 3rd one in everybody seems to be getting along just fine.

Well, I went ahead and got 3 bala sharks yesterday. Couldn't resist. :oops:
Also got 5 neon rosy barbs.
They all seem happy in the 10 gal QT tank for now. Will move them to the 75 gal in a couple weeks.

haha, I understand the "couldn't resist." My roommate has decided I am not allowed to go to fish stores by myself anymore. Congrats on your fish. Pics?

Back
Top Bottom