Question - Can I Add More Fish to my 5 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wfoxx3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 5 gallon tank with 1 mickey mouse platy in it. My question is can I add 1 more? I ask because I have been given conflicting answers. When I initially bought the tank the pet store told me I could fit 2 in my 5 gallon. And I've read in places that I can fit 2 and other places I've read 5 gallon is too small for even 1. But my 1 fish currently seems very happy and my tank is cycled and very healthy. So I'm wondering if I can put another fish in so my current one isn't all alone or if I should just upgrade to a 10 gallon? And if I do upgrade to a 10 gallon, how many platies can I safely fit in that? Ideally I would have 2 in my 5 gallon, but I know this may not be safe and I don't want to risk anything. Thanks

Platies and livebearers need much more space. If you are set on platies I would consider at least a 20 gallon tank. I would consider smaller fish for a 5 or 10 gallon such as neon tetras, though even they can benefit from more swimming room.

Alright I will look into upgrading. How many total would I be able to fit in a 10 gallon?

Do you plan on getting males and females? If you do, you could easily be overrun with fry.

My current platy is a female so I would stick with all females haha.

Personally, I don't think you should add another one. They do need some swimming room and they are not a very good species for a 5g tank. Having more than 1 in there would definitely not be good. They would likely bicker a lot because of the limited space.

No worries. I definitely don't think four platies should go in a 5 gallon tank! lol

Back
Top Bottom