Question concerning freshwater stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha my mistake. I meant should I add 1 or 2 of the dwarf gouramis.. Man, look at me trying to put half a fish in my tank!! I am a rookie at this!! Lol

Haha! You can do 2 with no problems. What kind of filtration are we looking at?

Yes, thats true in every aspect. Im working on getting into college for some credits to join the army (not reserves) because, its what I truly want to do. Im just trying to convince my wife but she isnt for it. We have lots of help here that you will find extremely useful as well!

I appreciate you wanting to serve this country. There are some websites that you and your wife can check out for spouses, forums just like this for active duty spouses. Other than the deployment concerns that every wife/husband/significant other, worries about, there is a lot of great information/groups/conversations that she can check out that may ease her mind on the decision. Just a thought. But I do understand her reservations as well as your passion to wear the uniform. I applaud you sir and also thank you very much for your advice and approval of my current stock.

Haha! You can do 2 with no problems. What kind of filtration are we looking at?

I went with the Marineland 150 bio wheel filter, with a 100 watt heater ( temp is at 78) and I use two filters in the 150..I started with one to build up some bacteria then just rotated it to the back and added my second one yesterday. That way I keep some consistency in the tank and I plan on continuing this cycle of filters once every 3 weeks. Plus the bio wheel keeps the good bacteria flowing... So I was told.. I just hope I'm doing all of this correctly,,

I went with the Marineland 150 bio wheel filter, with a 100 watt heater ( temp is at 78) and I use two filters in the 150..I started with one to build up some bacteria then just rotated it to the back and added my second one yesterday. That way I keep some consistency in the tank and I plan on continuing this cycle of filters once every 3 weeks. Plus the bio wheel keeps the good bacteria flowing... So I was told.. I just hope I'm doing all of this correctly,,

78 degrees... That's my current temp

Haha my mistake. I meant should I add 1 or 2 of the dwarf gouramis.. Man, look at me trying to put half a fish in my tank!! I am a rookie at this!! Lol

As mentioned earlier I would only stick with one gourami.

As mentioned earlier I would only stick with one gourami.

So 1. Got it. I can see how a stock can get out of hand, I walk into the store and I just what everything, I appreciate the advice and you taking the time to provide guidance!

May I ask what type of fish you currently have?

Thanks for serving our country and welcome to AA! You will learn a lot on this forum as I have myself. There are people on here that even have over 40 years of experience in this hobby. I'm on year 10. You may get a lot of constructive criticism, but people are just trying to prevent you from making mistakes and wasting your money haha. Feel free to post threads about any question you have. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions too. As for your stock, it looks okay to me. Those are good beginner fish. You could also add some bottom feeders like Cory Catfish, Loaches, etc. Shrimp are cool too.

Yea stick with only one DG, chances are you'll get 2 males and will fight y, females are hard to find

Thanks for serving our country and welcome to AA! You will learn a lot on this forum as I have myself. There are people on here that even have over 40 years of experience in this hobby. I'm on year 10. You may get a lot of constructive criticism, but people are just trying to prevent you from making mistakes and wasting your money haha. Feel free to post threads about any question you have. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions too. As for your stock, it looks okay to me. Those are good beginner fish. You could also add some bottom feeders like Cory Catfish, Loaches, etc. Shrimp are cool too.

ThNk you so much for the welcome. My father always taught me that constructive criticism is nothing more than ideas I should of thought of begin wit!!!! lol

Trust me I will take all of the guidance, advice I can get! I got some good advice earlier with the loaches and plane on adding a few tomorrow along with a dwarf gourami and that should just about do it.. Then it's care and maintenance that I really want to nail down! I don't want to neglect these wonderful species!

Yea stick with only one DG, chances are you'll get 2 males and will fight y, females are hard to find

1 it is!! Lol I'm gonna have trouble sleeping tonight now knowing that I may have some new fish joining the fam tomorrow!!!

ThNk you so much for the welcome. My father always taught me that constructive criticism is nothing more than ideas I should of thought of begin wit!!!! lol

Trust me I will take all of the guidance, advice I can get! I got some good advice earlier with the loaches and plane on adding a few tomorrow along with a dwarf gourami and that should just about do it.. Then it's care and maintenance that I really want to nail down! I don't want to neglect these wonderful species!

Sounds good! And your welcome!

ThNk you so much for the welcome. My father always taught me that constructive criticism is nothing more than ideas I should of thought of begin wit!!!! lol Trust me I will take all of the guidance, advice I can get! I got some good advice earlier with the loaches and plane on adding a few tomorrow along with a dwarf gourami and that should just about do it.. Then it's care and maintenance that I really want to nail down! I don't want to neglect these wonderful species!

6 Glofish Tetras
6 Neon Tetras
3 Glofish Danios
1 Tequila Sunrise Guppie
2 Dalmation Mollies
1 Albino Eater
3 Kuhli loaches
1Dwarf gourami?

This will be my new stock as of tomorrow evening ( If of course they are available at the store)

That's adding

1 Glofish Tetra
3 Neon Tetra
3 Kuhli Loaches
1 Dwarf Gourami

Is that ok to add all in one day or should I stretch it out a bit, like say over a week or so. Problem is, they don't get a very good stock of fish here locally around the house so if they have them today, tomorrow they could be gone and then it could be two weeks before they get more stuff in.

again, thank you all in advance for the toleration and patience from all of my questions!

6 Glofish Tetras
6 Neon Tetras
3 Glofish Danios
1 Tequila Sunrise Guppie
2 Dalmation Mollies
1 Albino Eater
3 Kuhli loaches
1Dwarf gourami?

This will be my new stock as of tomorrow evening ( If of course they are available at the store)

That's adding

1 Glofish Tetra
3 Neon Tetra
3 Kuhli Loaches
1 Dwarf Gourami

Is that ok to add all in one day or should I stretch it out a bit, like say over a week or so. Problem is, they don't get a very good stock of fish here locally around the house so if they have them today, tomorrow they could be gone and then it could be two weeks before they get more stuff in.

again, thank you all in advance for the toleration and patience from all of my questions!

I would add half and half so you dont cause a mini cycle im your tank. Do 3 neons and the glofish this week and next week do the rest. Its a safe way to save your fish

I would add half and half so you dont cause a mini cycle im your tank. Do 3 neons and the glofish this week and next week do the rest. Its a safe way to save your fish

Got it! Glad I asked the question.

Thank you so much for your guidance!!!!!!

Got it! Glad I asked the question.

Thank you so much for your guidance!!!!!!

No problem. You could add them all at once but your gonna need to expect a mini cycle from adding a bigger bioload than your tank is used too. If you do test the waters daily and change some as needed. It will also stress the fish out some if you add them all at once.

No problem. You could add them all at once but your gonna need to expect a mini cycle from adding a bigger bioload than your tank is used too. If you do test the waters daily and change some as needed. It will also stress the fish out some if you add them all at once.

Seems like patience is key is this business!! I think I will stick with your advice of the tetras this week ( since the population already consist of them) then next weekend adding the finishing touches! Plus it give me something to look forward to and more time to read up on the upcoming new additions!

Seems like patience is key is this business!! I think I will stick with your advice of the tetras this week ( since the population already consist of them) then next weekend adding the finishing touches! Plus it give me something to look forward to and more time to read up on the upcoming new additions!

I like your thinking! Yes patience is the key to this and probably 90% of everything in life and I have no patience at all!

I like your thinking! Yes patience is the key to this and probably 90% of everything in life and I have no patience at all!

Me neither!!! Lol that's why tomorrow is going to be very trying for me!!!!!!!!!

Yea good advice guys! Add half this week and half the next, that's what I do
This is the sticking list in my 29 gallon planted, I have some of these fish already, and I'm waiting for the rest
5 ghost catfish
3 silver hatchetfish
1 dwarf gourami
4 black kuhli loaches
1 Raphael catfish
1 Bolivian ram
1 bn pleco
1 clown pleco

Back
Top Bottom