Question concerning freshwater stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYCAF95

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone. I just got stationed in NYC and was injured and now stuck in the house for some time. I needed something to keep me busy. Being in the US Air Force the last 18 years, I'm always on the go, so being stuck in the house was/is driving me insane. So I decided to get into fish. I'm a new freshwater tank owner and have a question. I have a 30 gallon tank. I cycled it and then started adding fish, mostly fish my kids liked (all tropical). I just want to make sure that I didn't add to many or if maybe I can add a couple more ( which I would prefer, if possible).

5 Glofish Tetras
3 Neon Tetras
3 Glofish Danios
1 Tequila Sunrise Guppie
2 Dalmation Mollies

All water levels are great: temp, Ph, nitrites, nitrates, hardness, ect...

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance,

Will

Welcome to AA!
I would say, you are ok, maybe a bit under ok, I would add some bottom feeders like Cory cats or kuhli loaches(my favorite!)

Thank you for the welcome and advice, I will definitely look into the fish you mentioned! I never realized how soothing and fun being a fish owner could be. It's definitely kinda consumed me... But having ADD helps with the new obsession, lol.

Aqadvisor is a good place to start with calculating your stocking with tank size and all. If that makes sense lol just got off work! Brain dead! But your tank sounds great and very friendly to me. If you have room I would bump up your tetras to a nice school and add some bottom fish. LOL I too have Khulis and LOVE them, but also would have Cory cats too. They both have such funny personalities that your kids will love.

Also do you have any live plants? I love my plants almost as much as my fish! And would be fun to venture into while you have the time.

Thank you for your service! And hope you get well soon. I come from a long line of veterans and will soon be an army medic =) and am glad to see soldiers with tanks! My husband is going to have to care for my tank while I'm in basic LOL (he is funnily enough a army veteran too!). I was worried about getting a tank, knowing ill be moving around but many do it. I think it is well worth it.

Yea, it's awesome, I have a 29 gallon in my desk where I do my homework, good place to relax
That could be good or terrible news, can you put a picture of the algae eater, if its a small type of pleco, it's good, if its a Chinese algae eater, you have a bad problem

Aqadvisor is a good place to start with calculating your stocking with tank size and all. If that makes sense lol just got off work! Brain dead! But your tank sounds great and very friendly to me. If you have room I would bump up your tetras to a nice school and add some bottom fish. LOL I too have Khulis and LOVE them, but also would have Cory cats too. They both have such funny personalities that your kids will love. Also do you have any live plants? I love my plants almost as much as my fish! And would be fun to venture into while you have the time. Thank you for your service! And hope you get well soon. I come from a long line of veterans and will soon be an army medic =) and am glad to see soldiers with tanks! My husband is going to have to care for my tank while I'm in basic LOL (he is funnily enough a army veteran too!). I was worried about getting a tank, knowing ill be moving around but many do it. I think it is well worth it.

Thank you for the service of you and your family to this wonderful and proud nation.

I did that whole 1 inch to gallon thing and think I'm ok... But then I read a lot of post and see some tanks that seem to look and do amazing with more than the 1 inch to gallon rule. I want the tank to be active and colorful but most of all a safe environment for the fish, since this is a great piece to have to teach the children about responsibility and caring for things that don't have apps ( iPad,iPod,iPhone, droid this and kindle that) I just want them to take pride in this and really have a relationship with the fish,,, if that makes sense.. Lol

I do not have any living plants.. They seem intriguing but I think I may still need to learn a lot before I start with the plants.

I am def going to look into the loaches first thing in the morning!! (Already searching info online as I am on this forum) haha.

Yea, it's awesome, I have a 29 gallon in my desk where I do my homework, good place to relax That could be good or terrible news, can you put a picture of the algae eater, if its a small type of pleco, it's good, if its a Chinese algae eater, you have a bad problem

it's a small Pleco type. I learned from this forum that the Chinese eater would be big trouble!

Man I have so much to learn!!!!

I'm accepting ALL advice at the moment anything I can learn for you experienced owners would be appreciated!!!!

I'd begin by upping the numbers on your two tetra types and your danios to at least 6 for each, as they are schooling fish that do best in groups.

German blue rams or Bolivian rams are always pretty centerpiece fish. You could do 1-2 of one of those types, but they do require somewhat mature tanks (4+ months old preferably, with Bolivians being more hardy but noticeably lest colorful). Apistogramma are another very beautiful type of dwarf cichlid and are similar to rams.

Another very pretty option would be to get a honey or pearl gourami. Both are very peaceful, very hardy, and have magnificent colors once they settle into the tank. I would only advise one of one type though as they do not generally tolerate members of the same sex/same species in the same tank.

Just some colorful options you can begin researching.

it's a small Pleco type. I learned from this forum that the Chinese eater would be big trouble!

Man I have so much to learn!!!!

Good it's a pleco, I'm suspecting its an albino bn pleco
A centerpiece would be good, I would suggest a dwarf gourami, and true, up your groups to 6

Good it's a pleco, I'm suspecting its an albino bn pleco A centerpiece would be good, I would suggest a dwarf gourami, and true, up your groups to 6

Would that be to many in the 30 gallon tank?? I would love a center piece fish..

Good it's a pleco, I'm suspecting its an albino bn pleco A centerpiece would be good, I would suggest a dwarf gourami, and true, up your groups to 6

That would up the stock to:

5 Glofish Tetras
3 Neon Tetras
3 Glofish Danios
1 Tequila Sunrise Guppie
2 Dalmation Mollies
1 Albino Eater

3 Kuhli loaches
1/2 Dwarf gourami

Hello everyone. I just got stationed in NYC and was injured and now stuck in the house for some time. I needed something to keep me busy. Being in the US Air Force the last 18 years, I'm always on the go, so being stuck in the house was/is driving me insane. So I decided to get into fish. I'm a new freshwater tank owner and have a question. I have a 30 gallon tank. I cycled it and then started adding fish, mostly fish my kids liked (all tropical). I just want to make sure that I didn't add to many or if maybe I can add a couple more ( which I would prefer, if possible).

5 Glofish Tetras
3 Neon Tetras
3 Glofish Danios
1 Tequila Sunrise Guppie
2 Dalmation Mollies

All water levels are great: temp, Ph, nitrites, nitrates, hardness, ect...

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance,

Will

I would personally like to thank you for serving our country! Your a true hero. I would also like to thank you for learning alot and doing this the right way. And most of all, Welcome to AA!

That would up the stock to: 5 Glofish Tetras 3 Neon Tetras 3 Glofish Danios 1 Tequila Sunrise Guppie 2 Dalmation Mollies 1 Albino Eater 3 Kuhli loaches 1/2 Dwarf gourami

Plus an additional

1 Glofish tetra
3 neon tetras

This would be good!

6 Glofish Tetras
6 Neon Tetras
3 Glofish Danios
1 Tequila Sunrise Guppie
2 Dalmation Mollies (only females or get a 3 femal 1 male ratio)
1 Albino Eater

3 Kuhli loaches
1/2 Dwarf gourami?

I would personally like to thank you for serving our country! Your a true hero. I would also like to thank you for learning alot and doing this the right way. And most of all, Welcome to AA!

Thank you, it's truly an honor to represent that flag every single day! Best job in America ( well my personal opinion). And, yes I want to do this the right way and learn as much as I can for all of you! I am like a sponge and want to gather as much information, guidance, and advice as I can!

And the true heroes are (in my opinion) the military spouse. They have to up and move every 3-4 years and most times put their careers on hold to support us, the active duty member. They must be strong and be both the mother/father while the other is away defending this beautiful and proud nation. I always say that most if the time the military spouse does 100% of the mission with 50% of the manning!

Thank you for your support!!

This would be good! 6 Glofish Tetras 6 Neon Tetras 3 Glofish Danios 1 Tequila Sunrise Guppie 2 Dalmation Mollies (only females or get a 3 femal 1 male ratio) 1 Albino Eater 3 Kuhli loaches 1/2 Dwarf gourami?

Haha my mistake. I meant should I add 1 or 2 of the dwarf gouramis.. Man, look at me trying to put half a fish in my tank!! I am a rookie at this!! Lol

Thank you, it's truly an honor to represent that flag every single day! Best job in America ( well my personal opinion). And, yes I want to do this the right way and learn as much as I can for all of you! I am like a sponge and want to gather as much information, guidance, and advice as I can!

And the true heroes are (in my opinion) the military spouse. They have to up and move every 3-4 years and most times put their careers on hold to support us, the active duty member. They must be strong and be both the mother/father while the other is away defending this beautiful and proud nation. I always say that most if the time the military spouse does 100% of the mission with 50% of the manning!

Thank you for your support!!

Yes, thats true in every aspect. Im working on getting into college for some credits to join the army (not reserves) because, its what I truly want to do. Im just trying to convince my wife but she isnt for it.

We have lots of help here that you will find extremely useful as well!

Back
Top Bottom