Question: Evaporation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trautter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My FW 29gal has recently (the last 9 months) been losing water at a faster pace than usual. Around the same time I lost a Chinese Algea Eater and couldn't replace it faster than they would get eaten. The fish are African Chiclids that are appropriate in size and number for the tank.I don't use a heater. Any advice to stop it?

Well, three main things are going to govern evaporation rates:

1. Temperature of the tank water.
2. Relative humidity of the room the tank is in (water evaporates faster into dry air than into really humid air).
3. How well the lid "seals" the top of the tank.

If you have a lid that makes an almost perfect seal on the tank, then you should only lose about 1/2" or less water per week. If, on the other hand, you have HoB filter(s) and so there is a significant lack of a seal, you can expect to lose 1" or more per week, depending upon the other factors.

I highly doubt your evaporation issue has any relation to your CAE dying.

If you are doing weekly water changes which is highly recommended you should not have enough water lose between to really worry about.

WELCOME :n00b:

Bio load won't affect evaporation rate; tank lid, humidity, filter, and water temp will. Your answers to the following questions will be very helpful for us to help you. Is it possible there is a small leak? You say you don't use a heater; How warm is the water? Are you in a desert climate? Is there a cover on the tank? What type of filter are you using? How often are you doing water changes and gravel vacuuming? Are you replacing water between water changes?

Back
Top Bottom