Question on a used terrarium as fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJG86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any issues with using a tank for fish that was previously used as a terrarium? I think I have found a great deal on Craigslist but I don't want to run into problems since it hasn't been used for fish...thanks!

Check the seals. Ask to see it full of water if you can, if it holds, your prob good to go. As far as cleaning, bleach it good and then let it dry outside for days. Then good old fashioned elbow grease.

No, I would not use a terrarium as an aquarium. Mainly because the bottom glass is not tempered(In Most cases, witch is most likely). Also, they use a different type of silicone witch is not resistant to a fully filed tank. Usually, on terrarium notice labels, it states to not fill over 30%(Commonly, between 10%-40%) because it can't hold as much pressure. You will also usually notice the glass is much thinner, measuring usually 1/3'' or more commonly 1/4''(55 gallon terrarium), whilst in aquariums, a 55 gallon would have around 1/2''-1''(sometimes more). I heard of people using it as aquariums, and they end up leaking after a few weeks, sometimes earlier and they end up ''exploding'' if I may say. Over all, I wouldn't do it.

Thanks for the replies! The lady says it is an actual aquarium but I'm not going to risk it! I don't need 55g of water "exploding" in my office! Yikes!

No, I would not use a terrarium as an aquarium. Mainly because the bottom glass is not tempered(In Most cases, witch is most likely). Also, they use a different type of silicone witch is not resistant to a fully filed tank. Usually, on terrarium notice labels, it states to not fill over 30%(Commonly, between 10%-40%) because it can't hold as much pressure. You will also usually notice the glass is much thinner, measuring usually 1/3'' or more commonly 1/4''(55 gallon terrarium), whilst in aquariums, a 55 gallon would have around 1/2''-1''(sometimes more). I heard of people using it as aquariums, and they end up leaking after a few weeks, sometimes earlier and they end up ''exploding'' if I may say. Over all, I wouldn't do it.

I forgot about the bottom glass not being tempered. Very good point!

Back
Top Bottom