Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question on filter/pump system

Greetings:

I presently have a 30 gallon tank which I received as a gift... without the Filter/Pump system. I have been told that going over the GPM rating is wise as it provides better cleaning. How far can one take the pump GPM rating over the actual gallonage of the tank?

Don

Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Of course the answer is "it depends!"

What sort of fish are you going to have in there, and do you intend to have live plants?

The old adage "you can't have too much filtration" is true, you can't! However your fish won't appreciate a 100mph current in the tank either

As a general rule you want to have 5-10x turnover per hour. So for 30 gallon you're looking at a max 300 gallon/hour turnover. However manufacturers usually lie about their filter rates so assume 50% of the value.

So you're looking for a filter which claims 300-600 gallons per hour of output (1000-2000 litres in understandable language )

I've learned this the hard way in getting an external which claimed 700 litres/hour but only does 360!

Old 01-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I prefer to take the filter's max. tank rating and cut it in half to start.

I have an AC30 upgraded with an AC50 impeller on a 20H with guppies, neons, and rasboras.
I have an AC50 upgraded with an AC70 impeller on a 20L stuffed with guppies, RCS, and cories.
I have an AC70 on a 29g with an assortment including bettas.
I have an AC110 on a 40B with rainbows, rasboras, catfish, and a betta.

For a 30g tank, I'd look at either the AC50 or AC70.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My reply 2 u

I appreciate the replies... thank you. If I choose to go with a larger pump rate I can always manage the hydraulics and increased pressure with a larger diameter output hose or flow chamber. I'm off the the Pet Store to take advantage of the sales today. TNX AGN.

Don

Tags
filter, pump, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com