Question on hiding platy....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e burna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a pair of platy's a few months back. The female was pregnant at the time I bought her. The male chased her all over the tank, and after a few weeks I moved him to a separate tank, leaving the female as the lone platy in an otherwise peaceful tank. She gave birth (I found 2 of the fry I have since been raising) and now she just sits at the bottom of the tank most of the time in a little cave area. Is this normal behavior from a platy? She's been pretty dormant for at least a good month now. She comes out at feeding time and then goes back to being shy. Should I be concerned?

how long after you took the male out did she start? maybe it has something to do witht hat.

did you change anything else?

Nothing has changed in the tank. I took the male out probably a good month before she started acting so shy. It was probably a bit after she had her babies that she started just sitting at the bottom under shelter of my caves. She looks healthy, and has been doing this now for weeks I would say.

do you think she is an older platy or still young? because my g/f's year old platy's chill out in the caves and dont do much but eat and rest

My oldest, biggest, female platy likes to stay in the corner all by herself. She's been doing it for months. She is at least 2.5 years old. So it is probably normal..

Back
Top Bottom