Question on jade....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would jade figurines be safe in an aquarium? I'm thinking of completely redoing my 55G non-planted and was thinking of some of the jade figurines that I purchased years ago when I was overseas. They are just collecting dust, so I thought it might be a neat idea. I have 2 of those lions that sit in front of a temple, and also have a dragon. They are pretty good sized too, and not no tiny figurines. I also have those lions in some kind of a rock that looks like polished granite, but I know it's not granite. They told me back then what it was, but I couldn't remember what it was. Any thoughts on these? They are not on plastic stands, so there's no glue or sticky stuff involved, just the jade and the other figurines.

jade

Another interesting puzzler!! I love this place!! :D Offhand, I say jade should be inert in a fish tank. The ion exchange verucaproduce referenced occurs when the minerals are still hot and forming. Not likely to be a problem here. Still, need to be sure for our little fishies. I'll see if I can find anything more definitive than, "I think so". Good luck and sounds cool!!!!!!!

WOW - that tank is going to be AWESOME !!!! Gut feel is it should be fine but do the old "soak it for a goood while and test the water" thing - better safe than sorry, right ?

Jade should be fine (whether it is actinolite or jadeite), it should be chemically stable, although both are be metal based ( iron, aluminium,and/or magnesium)... as far as the other one, if you still need to know what stone they are, if you can get a good pick i can hopefully id it for you!

jade

As JDogg said, jade should be non reactive in water. Only possible problem I can think of is if there is a small crack or seam of a pourous mineral. Might have old cleaner, etc in it to leach out. Like Joannde suggested, a good soak is never a bad idea. And we will get pics when it is done, right? :D

Yup, will definitely post pics. If I get time, I might post pics of them not in the tank so you can see what I'm working with. Will have to find them, if I can remember where I put them when I moved, lol.

Edit:
Got some pics of the pieces, as dirty as they are, lol. Definitely needs some cleaning and soaking. I thought the jade lions were big, but they aren't. But the other lions are big. The jade figurines are smaller than the other ones. And the jade lions are on plastic stands as well, so I may or may not have to remove the stands. Ir I could remove them and use aquarium silicone and reattach them. Ideas, ideas, lol. Now to get online and find a nice temple. LOL.

55g17.jpg

55g18.jpg

55g19.jpg

55g20.jpg

jade

Those are beautiful!!! And a temple too? Lots of neat aquascaping you could do with all that. :D Perhaps airregularly sloping gravel hill? Or make it multilevel. Possibly use something like very small bamboo to make terraces. Hmmmmmmm. Darn it!!!!!! Now when I tell my g/f about this ....... another tank inspiration we have to try!!!

:roll: Not in the house a month and already I can see us running out of room.

Just off the top of my head it looks like it could me malachite or quartzite but I will look it up in my book and try to get a better idea. Will be an awesome tank.

Sorry, way off. Could be either Howlite or Graphic granite Pegmatite but it definately looks like a granite or marble.

Does Shoushan, pagodite or agalmatolite sound familiar?

It's been so long ago, not really sure.

As for temples, etc, if anyone sees anything online that might be cool, and fairly large, let me know. Would like something big enough where it would be good for my large eels as well. Was thinking of putting in my large shipwreck, but don't think the jade pieces would work well with it.

Back
Top Bottom