Question on Seachem Products

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsBigE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was reading through product guides on the Seachem site and found they've introduced a new product called "Pristine." From what I read it looks like it breaks down waste, detritus etc.. Just wondering if anyone has tried it yet?

I only found one place online that sells it so I've ordered some. I just wanted to know if others have any info to share.

Also, I currently have Purigen in my canister filter and from what I understand it "should" take care of ammonia, nitrtrites and nitrates but Its unclear to me if I still needed to dose with Prime or use Purigen only?
Thank you for your help!
MrsBigE
Pickerington OH

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I was reading through product guides on the Seachem site and found they've introduced a new product called "Pristine." From what I read it looks like it breaks down waste, detritus etc.. Just wondering if anyone has tried it yet?

I only found one place online that sells it so I've ordered some. I just wanted to know if others have any info to share.

Also, I currently have Purigen in my canister filter and from what I understand it "should" take care of ammonia, nitrtrites and nitrates but Its unclear to me if I still needed to dose with Prime or use Purigen only?
Thank you for your help!
MrsBigE
Pickerington OH

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Good question!! I have not tried Pristine (or Phosnet & Phosbond), Seachems three new products released this past December. I am curious as well if anyone has. Based on Seachems site, Pristine is a bacterial additive with some bold claims. It did not seem very clear if it also works as a water conditioner. I was not able to find any actual reviews on this product either. Just a guess, but I suspect as this is just an additive, so you will need to use Prime as well to deal with chlorine/chloramine and detox heavy metals.

Purigen is not necessary for a healthy tank but water changes with a good water conditioner are a must. Depending on a product to remove toxins such as ammonia or nitrite is not necessarily the best scenario. A cycled tank with well established bacterial colonies will remove ammonia and nitrite for free. Nitrates (and other organic materials) are removed with water changes. If purigen is not recharged/replaced, it simply becomes media that bacteria will colonize. Just some things to consider!

Please post a review and your opinions of the Pristine product! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Seachem Pristine is the same thing as Nutrafin Waste control. This is a bacteria in bottle product (not the ones you want to keep cycle).

I would say you DON't need that product, just make sure fishs eat all their food, so there's nothing rotting in the tank. Thoses bacteries will consume dead things like food or dead plants in your tank and raise your ammonia... So prepare to monitor ammonia if you still want to try it.

Seachem Pristine is the same thing as Nutrafin Waste control. This is a bacteria in bottle product (not the ones you want to keep cycle).

I would say you DON't need that product, just make sure fishs eat all their food, so there's nothing rotting in the tank. Thoses bacteries will consume dead things like food or dead plants in your tank and raise your ammonia... So prepare to monitor ammonia if you still want to try it.

I'm curious how consuming decaying matter raises ammonia? I would think the opposite. Or am I reading this wrong?

I'm curious how consuming decaying matter raises ammonia? I would think the opposite. Or am I reading this wrong?

All part of the cycle life. Very simply, waste products and dead plants and animals are broken down by bacteria and fungi which take the organic nitrogen and begin decomposition by converting it to a form of ammonia (ammonification).

Back
Top Bottom