question please on tank with a chip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motherspice

Aquarium Advice Activist
My son was given a 55 gal tank he wants to use it for his goldies but it has a chip in the corner about 1/3 from the top...he filled it up when he 1st got it, to clean it and it did not leak.....now he has it 1/2 way filled but the water is not covering the chip...hes affraid to fill it all up he dont want 55 gals all over his floor...is there anything he can do to fix it? or should he not take the chance.........

Our 3 foot tank has a chip near the top, infact I only noticed it a couple of weeks ago, and it has been fine for the past few years, it does concern me though as it is a weak spot in the tank, but as long as it holds out then it should be ok... :)

I would suggest that...

a) If the chip is a flake off the front surface of the glass, it is OK.

b) If it is gouge on the edge, there might be a chance of a stress fracture that you can not see and with the added pressure of the water may spread like a rock chip in a windshield occasionally does.

c) One never knows...

Mine has a couple nicks in the corners(2 spots), its doesnt worry me at all. I dont think there is anything that will fix it, other then cosmetically.

Now my patched center brace, that I will keep an eye on, so far so good.

It all depend on how big the chip is, and where it is. Small chips right at the outside corners are OK. <I had an old tank with many chips like that - but none bigger than 1/8 inch or so.> Anything involving the seam where 2 glass panes joins may give you problems .... I'd use some common sense. If in doubt, fill it up outside for a few weeks & see if there is any leaks or extension of the cracks. <But you are not 100% safe, some cracks/seam leaks happens over weeks or months.>

My 29 gallon tank has a chip in the upper corner but I'm not worried about it. I purchased it new and didn't notice until I got it home that it had a small nick out of it. I wouldn't have purchased it had I known that it was like that but everything has been fine and I honestly almost never thought about it breaking and wasn't worried one bit.

Back
Top Bottom