Question when cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your target should be to keep ammonia + nitrite combined below 0.5ppm. If ammonia is 0ppm and nitrite 0.5ppm then do a small water change. If 0ppm ammonia and 1ppm nitrite then change 50% of the water. If 0ppm ammonia and 2ppm nitrite then do 2 x 50% water changes a few hours apart. When you say your nitrite is very high, what are you seeing?

Water changes won't screw up your cycle. Very little beneficial bacteria lives in the water, it lives on surface area like your aquarium glass, substrate, decorations, but mostly filter media. However if you dose bottled bacteria (safestart) and then do a water change you will simply be removing bacteria before it has chance to establish on surfaces. Do a water change, then add safestart. Honestly though if you have previously dosed a bottled bacteria product adding more is probably nothing more than a placebo. It wont hurt anything, might help, probably of no further benefit. If you have some left may as well use it up. If you dont mind the expense knock yourself out and buy some more.

Dont rely on prime to detoxify ammonia and nitrite. The only sure fire way to remove ammonia and nitrite during your cycle is water changes. Prime or any other ammonia/nitrite detoxifying product should only be a safety net.

IMO your priority during your cycle should be the health of your fish. Doing water changes is to benefit your fish, not establishing your cycle. If you care about the health of your 2 danios do the water changes. Some people will advocate simply leaving fish in toxic water. If they die you replace them. When they stop dying you are cycled.

Prime works within seconds. As far as i know all water conditioners work in seconds. I dose prime to the tank, enough to treat the whole tank, then start to refill immediately. Some people treat each bucket load individually. Whichever is your preference. But you dont need to wait for it to work.

Prime wont screw up your cycle. Even if it actually does detoxify ammonia and nitrite, thats all it does. It doesnt remove it. In its detoxified state it is still available as a food source for your beneficial bacteria.

As for getting contradicting advice, you will always get that. There are more than 1 way to skin a cat. On this forum i know other members will give different advice and they may well do to you as well. I have no reason to doubt that what they advise wont work, because it has done for them. Ultimately you have to find your own way and make your own decisions taking account of what you have learnt and what works for you.

One more question...

Since it is only 10 gallons, I just replace about 3 gallons for a water change.
What I do is, I fill 3, 1 gal milk jugs and add prime to them .
I usually let them sit overnight before using the treated water in the jugs in a water change.
Is that OK?

BTW, in the past, about 30 years ago, I had some rather large tanks
However, that was a time when water changes and cycling were not known or practiced by the general public. About the only thing you were told to do was to check water PH.
Some Fish in a new aquarium were expected to die but most just accepted this without knowing why..

Today, much more is known and practiced of course .
So, I am no stranger to Aquariums. Cycling is just new to me . :

You arent doing anything wrong with your water change regime per se. You might be overcomplicating things though.

Why are you letting water sit overnight? Without knowing your reason its difficult to comment on it.

There are reasons to let water sit.

Degassing chlorine. But you are using dechlorinator.

Degassing CO2. As CO2 is degassed water becomes more alkaline. Water straight from the tap might be much more acidic than water in your tank where CO2 has already degassed.

Letting water sit overnight isnt a common practice anymore where it once was used as a method of chlorine removal. Where water is chloramine (rather than chlorine) treated letting water sit wont degas the chloramine anyway.

I 'm letting is it sit over night etc because I read that the declorinator in water conditioners would hinder cycling but, the hindering effect will dissipate after about 24 hours .

Like I said, there is a lot of confusing info out there .

Ive never heard anyone say that dechlorinators in general hinder the cycle process. I have seen that speculated about prime specifically though, but given that it doesnt remove ammonia i cant see how it could affect cycling. At best it detoxifies ammonia for a short period of time (the 24h you mention?), probably through a process of turning free ammonia into ammonium (i dont think seachem are specific about how their product works). Ammonium is much much less toxic than free ammonia and the bacteria can feed off it the same as free ammonia.

Many, many people cycle tanks using dechlorinated water straight from the tap, so it must work ok.

So, letting it sit over night does no harm ..and might just possibly do some good..

At the very least, it acclimates the water to room temp which is close to the tank temp...and when I do change water, the new conditioned water is ready to go back in.

It wont do any harm, just something you probably dont need to do. You are only changing 3 gallons of water so no biggie either way.

Only downside i can think of is that prime is only effective for a day or so. Thats fine for the dechlorination as that doesnt wear off once the chlorine is gone. But, any benefits of detoxifying ammonia + nitrite will have mostly worn off before it gets in the tank.

This is what is confusing
There is no ammonia in the fresh water to begin with

BTW, we have excellent tap water in my area .
I tested it for all relevant things and it all tests zero

Question...
Can I use Prime to detoxify Nitrite by adding some directly to the tank and if so, how much should I add for 10 gallons?

In addition to removing chlorine (its main purpose), Prime makes a claim to detoxify ammonia and nitrite for a short period of time. 1ppm for 24 hours i think. Double dose to detoxify 2ppm etc. That ammonia could be from the tap water, it could be from fish waste. Using prime as a water conditioner, if it does what it says, will provide some protection from ammonia and nitrite during a fish in cycle and so is regularly recommended as the go to water conditioner for cycling a tank with fish. I wouldnt rely totally on any product. The only sure fire way to remove ammonia and nitrite is a water change, but having a backup cant be a bad thing.

Success....
I just tested my water......
Ammonia is still zero
Nitrite is now zero also

Tomorrow I will test Nitrates
I assume at this point, to lower that if high I just have to do some water changes.

I will keep everything you said in mind.... about Prime etc

Also be assured that this time, I will wait a while to be 100 % positive that it is cycled before even thinking about getting another fish .

I tested the water again today and also Included a Nitrate test.
Ammonia and Nitrite is still at zero
However, Nitrate is quite high.....about 80 PPM

So I did a water change

Question...
If I use Prime to condition my water and do not let it sit overnight, will it screw up my cycle at this point?

Back
Top Bottom