Questions?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onah

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey guys i got a friend one of those little 1g tanks, she is taking a betta that some @$#$ had in a bowl of green slush at a party i played at. I know that alot of u will say the tank is to small for a betta, but it isnt up for discussion unfortunately, sorry.

well my question is this, it came with one of those UGF, how do these things work? there is going to be a cycle of some sorts isnt there? does the pump have to stay on all the time? or can she turn it off and on with the light? TIA & happy holidays!

Edit: lol the site changed all the different symbols i used for a bad word to a *beep*, lol, i just found that amusing.

UGFs either work with a power head which I doubt for a 1gal or just using an air pump. I think the Betta will be better off in there then its previous home and its a shame to see that Bettas are abused in such great numbers. If the UGF is the only filtration then yes the pump must stay on.

Yes there has to be cycling, shouldnt take too long with such a small tank and I assume you know how to cycle a tank, if not there are a few good articles on here.

yeah i already started it for her, and u dont even want me to get into what the tank that it came out of looked like, or the bowl rather. the tank has been off, but i will have her start it tomorrow when she gets back. yeah i will add some filter material to help jumpstart the cycle then, thanx richiestang

Ive seen those, no bio filtering on them, just a little sponge but it probably would be enough. UGFs tend to clog over time and make gravel cleaning hard as sludge builds up under the UGF. If you get that little filter mentioned above then you could do away with the airpmp, just make sure the tank is in a place where it wont get too hot or cold since I dont think they make heaers for tanks that small.

Back
Top Bottom