Questions about 75 Gallon Pre Existing Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

efinch77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a 75 gallon tank that has been running for about 10 years. I was travelling for work and it hasn't had any fish in it for about 3 years. Since the last fish passed I haven't been keeping up with water changes or even dechlorinating the water because nothing was alive in there, and I wasn't ready to take it down yet. My questions are 1- I think I know the answer, but I'm assuming all my beneficial bacteria are probably dead since I haven't been doing water changes or keeping up with water parameters. Will I need to completely re-cycle the tank?
2- I am running 2x cannister filters rated for 100 gallons each. Is that overkill? I'm going to have community fish, as well as some cherry shrimp and some floating plants.
3 - What can I put over my intakes to keep the shrimp from getting sucked into filters?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for your help!

1. I would test(or have tested) the water parameters to see where you are at but probably yes. Some water changes are definitely needed.
2. Depends on the size of the fish and how messy they are. If you are just doing a bunch if small fish then you can probably drop to one filter.
3. You can buy sponges that can be cut to fit the end of your filter. It stands out but at least it keeps shrimp and fry safe.

I'd be concerned with the flow rate if you go floating plants. Do the filters have adjustable flow rate or heads?

I agree with the above, if you're not doing particularly dirty fish like goldfish two canisters is probably unnecessary and no harm will come from dropping one.

I'd be concerned with the flow rate if you go floating plants. Do the filters have adjustable flow rate or heads?

I agree with the above, if you're not doing particularly dirty fish like goldfish two canisters is probably unnecessary and no harm will come from dropping one.

They do not have adjustable flow rates, at least not that I can find. I would like to have floating plants and some RCS, so maybe I will try just using 1 canister. I only plan on having some community fish like neons, maybe some guppies, cories and such. Do you think the 1 would suffice?

With those fish? 1 cannister would be plenty, I think. None oif them are known to be dirty like gold fish or turtles or anything.

Back
Top Bottom