Questions about a quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tantan86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I have a couple question on the whole proses of a qt tank! Now I understand the basics, I have to get an aquarium (5gl or larger) sponge filter, heater, pvc or plants, no gravel! I want a little more info on the water cleaning ect! I know you use the water from your display tank, do I use all the water source from my display tank or do I mix half display tank and half water condition water from the tap? Do I clean it every other day? Also, should I med my fish for bacterial and fungus? Or should I just do it if I notice symptoms? All these question I am asking are for me buying new fish, not a hospital tank! any answers would be appreciated! Just incase you ask I have a 55gl tank that has been set up for 5 years now, so my water would come from there, it is freshwater tropical fish!

Unless you heavily doctor your water in your display tank, you can just use straight tap for your QT. I clean my QT once a week like all my other tanks. When I get new fish I like to preemptively treat for internal parasites with Prazipro (or any anti-internal parasite medication) and for any external issues with salt. Those two treatments tend to cover the issues I most commonly encounter in new fish without stressing them too much. Otherwise, treat anything that isn't covered by those as those only if it arises.

Does that answer all of your questions? My QT is a 10 gallon, permanantly occupied by a handful of mutt guppies, and I use it for all my other 7 tanks (including a 55 gallon community).

Back
Top Bottom