Questions about Apple Snails and Dead Veg. Cleaners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BarleyBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
i. I have a well-planted aquarium and want to keep all of my plants healthy. However, I don't want to have to constantly dig around trying to prune out dead leaves and roots or leave them in the aquarium to decay.

I'd love to find a good cleaner that will eat the dead matter but not disturb the living leaves or roots. Any ideas?

II. I've read that one species of Apple Snail is great for this: Pomacea diffusa (old name, Pomacea bridgesii). I would love, love, love to get one. I've had an apple snail before and loved him. He grew so big. I don't know which species he was, and I don't think I had any live plants at the time. (This was over a decade and a half ago. I still have his beautiful shell). I really love the golden colored ones that I've seen. So I have two questions.

1. Is Pomacea diffusa (bridgesii) actually friendly to plants?
2. Is there a good place to order one?

All of my local stores just have their snails labeled as "mystery snails," so I can't be sure what I'm getting, and I don't trust the clerks enough to ask them if they know which snails are which.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom