Questions about misc items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragonchild85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings.

I may be posting this in the wrong spot, and if so, I apologize. But I have a couple of questions.

1) What is the test kit most of you recommend? I've gotten conflicting answers, so I don't know. Some say tablets, others swear by drops, yet more preach about the strips.

2) I am old-fashioned I guess. I use a syphon/gravel vac to clean my gravel and do water changes. But I saw an ad for the Python No spill setup...you hook it up to your faucet to clean the gravel and add water. How do you remove the chlorine from the new water? How do you add stress coat? Where does the nasty water go? IF anyone has one of these and uses it, please let me know. I'd love to kick my old buckets if I could.

3) What's the difference in the filters? I currently have an Aquaclear 50 on my tank, and was told I might want to change to a wet/dry or canister filter when I restock (I'm letting it die down for now, we're moving in about a year, and I don't want to try to move a huge tank!). What's the difference? For that matter, what in teh world is a sump pump? Which is easy to use? Which is the best for a tank? Which would cause me to rip out my hair and beat my head against a wall?

4) What are some other treats people give their fish? I feed mine tubefix worms and bloodworms as treats, and frozen brine shrimp on occasion (live ghost shrimp even less often.)

5) Any help on getting rid of some algea in a tank? My gourami's have been nibbling on it, but no where near the level of removal I need.

Thank you for your patience, and help.

~DC

1) Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit
2) The python is widely used by members of AA. One of the best inventions ever made. I syphon out the water down the drain, reverse the flow and add Prime as the tank is refilling. Prime is the only thing that I add to the water. It removes chlorine and chloramines. You do not have to pre-treat the water. Just add the dechlorinator as you are adding the water.
3) For a 40 gal tank the hob filter is just fine. I wouldn't switch filters.
4) That depends on what you have.
5) What kind of algae is it?

1: AP Freshwater Master Test Kit. Use only liquid test kits. Strips can be very inaccurate.

2: When using the Python, you just add enough dechlor to treat the whole tank. You can add the dechlor (Prime is highly recommended) before, during, or after you fill the tank back up. I personally add it while it's filling.

3: Filters may vary depending on size. HOB's and Cannisters are very effective, as well as bio-wheels. If you have a heavy bioload, a cannister may benefit you a bit more. And for larger tanks, definitely cannisters.

4: Bloodworms, brine shrimp, and occasionally beef heart. I also give freeze-dried plankton and also frozen krill for larger fish.

5: To help rid algae, water changes, BN Plecos, Otos, and other plecos as well. But tank size will determine what you can get. Also, keep out of direct sunlight.

The first two got it.

I'll add more about the algae though. Algae is caused by alot of different things...depending on what type it is. Some algae (like brown diatoms) is caused by excess silicates. It usually occurs after setting up a new tank. Usually people just try to remove it by hand, or get some ottos to munch on it. It will usually go away after some water changes. Green spot algae is said to be a sign of good water quality. Its hard to get rid of and requires an algae scraper or the side of a credit card. Its too hard for most algae eaters to eat. Some algae is caused by too much light. Having live plants can help by using the nutrients up before the algae can. Brown diatom algae can also be caused by not enough light.

What color is the algae?

Here are some links on algae: click 1
click 2 (has good pictures)

I'd try to ID it first and see if you can fix the problem, instead of adding more fish. Algae eaters will take care of the algae, but won't fix the problem.

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't find any decent information on the Python, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Seems like everyone likes it then.

I use Jungle brand declorinator...called Start Right...mostly because we have always used it, and it seems to work pretty well. How's this Prime work for everyone?

The algae seems to be a beard...it grows thickly on the sunken ship and the silk plants growing off the ship, and it's heavily coated, but it's soft...like moss. My betta loves to lay on the crowsnest and doze. Aside from that, it's on the back wall of the tank where I can't reach it with the magnetic scraper. I've tried plecos, they ignore it, I tried cory cats, they prefer scavenging, I've tried shrimp, they don't touch it, so I got some otos...they clean off the tank walls...I'm assuming keeping it from spreading, but aren't attacking the bad spot. So I'm half tempted to just let it go. I dunno anymore.

As to the treats...I have a betta, 2 puffers (not in the forty gal), cory cats, tetras (the orange ones and some rummynose), one hatchet fish, otos, ghost shrimp, danios, platies, gouramis, and I think that's it.

Prime is great becaues it is heavily concentrated and you don't use much (1 ml per 10 gal). It's the cheapest dechlor I have found. When you have a big tanks it gets too expensive using the other stuff.

Beard algae is tough stuff. I think the only algae eaters that will eat it are SAEs (siamese algae eaters). Its hard to remove also. I think you can use a weak bleach solution for any equipment (19 parts water to 1 part bleach). If it doesn't bother you too much, just leave it, unless it starts covering the whole tank.

I think phosphates may play a part in Beard algae. I'd get a phosphate tester, if you really want to know what causes it. See if they are high.

Also, do you check your nitrates? If so, what are they?

Are all the fish listed in your signature, in the 40g? If so, you are overstocked and that could be causing the algae (well high nitrates). How much light is over the tank and how much? How long do you leave it on for? Do you have any live plants?

All this plays a part in algae growth. Sorry if I ask too many questions....

Back
Top Bottom